honeywell burner and TC with ASCO valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frolf

Reaction score
do you guys think I could use these honeywell products (the Q314A6102_Pilot_Burner and the Q340A1066_Thermocouple) with ASCO valves for propane safety with me brutus?

http://www.drillspot.com/products/47183/Honeywell_Q314A6102_Pilot_Burner
http://www.drillspot.com/products/351549/Honeywell_Q340A1066_Thermocouple

i just wanna make sure no one (e.g., my kids) gets hurt from a propane explosion. now that i think of it, i'm wondering... is it really possible (or probable... whatever) to actually have a propane explosion? i'm just using 50k BTU burners with LP propane, and my there will be plenty of ventilation because i'll be outside or in the garage with the garage dorrs open.

I believe that the Pilot Burner and Thermocouple are designed to work with a S8610U Intermittent Pilot Module and VR8304 Intermittent Pilot gas valve. The pilot lights only when heat is called for which negates the need for a standing pilot. If the flame goes out the pilot will try to re-lite and if unsuccessful after a period of time will shut itself down, wait a while and retry to lite.

Propane is not to be taken lightly and treated with the proper respect. If due dilligence is paid it can be used safely. I would not recommend using propane in the garage but that is your choice. If you are careful, it is safe. If you are careless, the consequences can be dire.

sawdustguy,

ty for the info! i saw your gas for dummies thread and it's a really nice writeup (should be stickied somehow).

it might be that i'm slow, but i don't think my question was answered. i already have my asco valves, and i can't afford to spend hundreds on a safety system (i'd rather just monitor it instead)

can't argue with safety. let's say that i promise i will definitely run it outside only. there wouldn't be an overwhelming need (instead, maybe just a very small need) for a pilot safety system because of all the ventilation of being outside, right? (unless there's a complete absence of wind which doesn't happen where i live)

does anyone here have any records of a propane accident or explosion or anything like that during a homebrewing application?

*(besides the keggle explosion from lack of holes in the bottom of the keggle)

I doubt you will ever find specific homebrewing propane accident statistics. I would think they lump them in with propane bbq or turkey frier accidents. If propane spooks you why not just go electric.

I doubt you will ever find specific homebrewing propane accident statistics. I would think they lump them in with propane bbq or turkey frier accidents. If propane spooks you why not just go electric.

i doubt it, too. im building a hybrid propane/electric brewstand, and i'm just trying to take safety measures.

anyway, i'll get back to my question at hand:
i have two asco valves. i would like to have a pilot safety thing of some sort. i don't need an ignitor or any fancy equipment - just a way of sensing the lack of pilot flame and shutting down power to the valve - can't be too difficult, right?

to quote bittercreek:

I am using:
Asco 8210g075 valves with 24VAC coils http://www.ascovalve.com/Common/PDFFiles/Product/8210_NC.pdf

Honeywell S87B1008 ignition modules DIRECT SPARK IGNITION SINGLE ROD, ANY VALVE WITH ALARM TERMINAL. 6 SEC. LOCKOUT

Honeywell Q345A1321 pilot assemblys INTERMITTENT PILOT BURNER WITH K TIP. NTERMITTENT PILOT BURNER, SEC. AERATED. TRADELINE, B BRACKET, .018 ORIFICE, 1/4 IN. FITTING, K TIP REPLACES- GEMLINE: 1D284

Lp Orifices for pilot Honeywell 390686-25 .012 ORIFICE

Honeywell AT140A1000 Transformers 24 Vac at 40 VA

seems like he found a way to do exactly what i'm asking about.

i would really appreciate anyone's help on this, and i'm sure that i can help them in return with something theyre working on.

Send Bittercreek a PM. Not a cheap solution either. The S87B1008 are $154 each, the transformers are $10 each and the pilot assembly is $25 each.

Back