March Pump broke on third use WTF!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two march pumps I use in a HERMS system and one was always a bit noisier than the other. This morning as I started up my system for an AG the pump was extra noisy then it starting squealing and screeching and I knew I was F'd. I pulled the pump housing apart and didn't notice any damage to the impeller but I think there might have been a gasket or something where the impeller shaft sits in the top of the polysulphone head. I put it back together and could not get the pump to prime and then the screeching noise came back.

Has anyone had this problem before? Has anyone pulled the head apart before. Are there other parts that are missing? I bought this from Northern Brewer so hopefully I can get it exchanged.

As Bobby said.. the squealing is typically heard when the impeller is turning dry. If the noise is not the motor, but is the impeller, Id pull apart the compartment where the impeller resides ansd look to see if there is anything noticeable.

But of course you have done this already... man, I dunno

Thanks, I did that and found that the thrust washer is completely missing. This happened while the pump was circulating water, fortunately not mash. I guess the rattling noise I heard before the squeal was the washer being chewed up. I'm going to call March on Monday and see if I can get some replacement parts from them.

Back