How much irish moss to add to 6 gals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Hi all,

I buy my irish moss from a whole food website , it is dried but unchopped. I usually pull out " a few bits", soak in hot water for 5 minutes, remove any stalks, black or gungy bits, then finely cut uo with kitchen scissors. I usually end up with around 4 teaspoons to add to my 6 gallon boil. Is this too much? I know it is not too little as my beers turn out nice and clear. Thanks.

if you get clear beer then all is well. I usually add about 1 large tbsp per 5 gal of pre chopped Irish Moss and that works well.

I've got a book that recommends 10g for 5 gallons and they estimate 1 teaspoon holds 3g of irish moss so 4x3=12g sounds about right. You're better off using whirlfloc though IMO but if your beers come out clear then don't fix what aint broke.

I know that Orfy has used Irish moss in the natural form. He could probably give you his measurements since I've only used it from a processed bottle.

Remember, I am talking teaspoons of wet, swelled up irish moss. Many years ago I used dried finely chopped irish moss, I level teaspoon to 6 gallons, that is about 3 or 4 grams. If I "liquidised" the irish moss, ie made the particle size much smaller = greater surface area, would it help or hinder ?

It works right...so apparently you are doing it correctly and your beer doesn't get adversely affected. Stop worrying

Remember, I am talking teaspoons of wet, swelled up irish moss. Many years ago I used dried finely chopped irish moss, I level teaspoon to 6 gallons, that is about 3 or 4 grams. If I "liquidised" the irish moss, ie made the particle size much smaller = greater surface area, would it help or hinder ?

Its probably better to powder it. All it does is attract positive charged haze-causing proteins in the boil and they later settle out. So it makes sense to me that the finer the particles the more contact it will have with the proteins in solution. You're overthinking such a trivial task, just throw some in the boil and call it a day!

can you use too much irish moss? I misread and used 3 table spoons instead of 3 teaspoons. tx

I mix together my potion of irish moss (1 tsp per 5g.) and a yeast nutrient ( a dago dash:)) mix and toss it in the last 15 min. of the boil. clear yummy beer every time :fro:

Back