Can you believe it, ran out of gas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
Yes I ran out of gas just shortly after adding my 5 minute hops addition, about 4 minutes left to boil. I put the lid on and left the pot on the burner.
Shouldn't make a huge difference.
Just the way the day went.
That is what I get for brewing without planning ahead.
I woke up this morning and said to myself, I would like to brew up a batch of cream ale. I start getting my ingredients together from my stash and can't find any flaked corn, thought I had some.
So change gears, pale ale it is :D
10 lbs 2 row
1 lb 20L
3/4 lb biscuit
1/2 lb honey malt
Mill it up and break out the mash calculator.
It tells me I need 4 gallons strike water and 4.4 gallons sparge
I am doing BIAB method so I made sure to not include and extra for equipment loss.
Long story short I ended up with 7.5 gallons instead of 6.5 so I decide to do a 90 minute boil with hops added at 60 minutes, (boil off some of the excess)
at 60 minutes I was real close to where I needed to be volume wise so I add my hodge podge of hops (have to work with what I have)
1 oz. Citra and 3/4 oz chinook
as I am looking for anti boil over powder I thought I had, I found the flaked corn (oh well save it for next time) couldn't find the powder but didn't matter anyway.
I add my last hops at 5 minutes
3/4 oz of cluster and promptly run out of gas, LOL
Now that I think of it I never added any irish moss either, oh well.
Should be a tastey batch anyway. Good luck re-creating it :)
PS: haha in looking for my hydrometer sample tube I find the anti foam agent but can't find the sample tube, have to use my wine thief instead.

Ha- sounds like a typical brewday to me!

I had a brewday a few weeks ago where everything went perfectly and smoothly. I kept waiting for something to go wrong, and it didn't. It made me feel very uncomfortable! :cross:

I ran out of propane with 30 minutes left in the boil once. Thankfully, the tank for the grill had enough juice to get me the rest of the way through.

I actually have a full second tank but with only 4 minutes left I figured it wasn't worth hooking it up and re-lighting the burner.

On my last brewday I hefted the 20#'er and it felt like it 'mite' have had enough left in it to get to boil and do a 60m boil. Approx 1h20m total. I would not have started if I didn't have a back up just in case. When the boil was finished I did flame out and shut things down. Next day took the tank to get it refilled and asked the refill guy how much was left. He replied that it was EMPTY.........and I thought well not exactly empty but probably running on fumes....... thats about as close as I care to get and even at that not without backup........LOL

Back