Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used WLP004 the two times I brewed this. It turns out good, I don't know how to compare it to the other yeast but I think you won't be disappointed.

Any thoughts on oak? I've thought of doing this recipe next time with some oak chips for about 2 weeks in secondary. I've made this beer 3 or 4 times now but haven't used oak ever.

Any thoughts on oak? I've thought of doing this recipe next time with some oak chips for about 2 weeks in secondary. I've made this beer 3 or 4 times now but haven't used oak ever.

I thought about oaking it just to give it a shot, I just never got around to it. Was going to oak my oatmeal stout next time I make it, might oak this one at the same time.

If you do oak yours, please let me know how it turns out.

Brewing this today.

Not happy with how my grains were crushed at my LHBS. As I was dumping it into my mash (BIAB style), I noticed a lot of the Cara type malt was not really crushed well at all. Not sure what happened. The 2-Row was all cruhed very well. Oh well, still going to make beer. Probably lower efficiency, and we will see how the final turns out. Excited to try the final product!

I am going to brew this ale in a 10 gallon batch. I was just going to double all the ingredients on the the 5 gallon recipe. Is this the right way to do it, its my first time brewing more than 5 gallons? I would be using 2 lbs of honey is this too much? Thanks guys

I am going to brew this ale in a 10 gallon batch. I was just going to double all the ingredients on the the 5 gallon recipe. Is this the right way to do it, its my first time brewing more than 5 gallons? I would be using 2 lbs of honey is this too much? Thanks guys

you can double it and it'll be fine. or if you enter the recipe into BeerSmith there's a scaling feature built in.

So I brewed this a few days ago. It smells great so far. I cant wait to try the first hydro sample. My only concern is that the clor is rather "brown" and not red. This of course is in the fermenter. Not sure if its from all the yeast or waht, but it doesnt have any red color at all. Ill see once I get a hydro sample but wasnt sure if this was normal.

So I brewed this a few days ago. It smells great so far. I cant wait to try the first hydro sample. My only concern is that the clor is rather "brown" and not red. This of course is in the fermenter. Not sure if its from all the yeast or waht, but it doesnt have any red color at all. Ill see once I get a hydro sample but wasnt sure if this was normal.

completely normal. This is a very deep red. have a light behind it and you'll see the red..

Hey I'm having trouble finding white labs yeast in time for brew day. Would you know of a good wyeast replacement and if it will affect the taste that much. Thanks a lot.

Ok the life of this tread alone has me hooked. Ingredients ordered from Brewmasters Warehouse. Can't wait to get started

Hey I'm having trouble finding white labs yeast in time for brew day. Would you know of a good wyeast replacement and if it will affect the taste that much. Thanks a lot.

any clean fermenting yeast will work. when I can't get whitelabs I use US-05 dry yeast. Wyeast 1056 is the same as Whitelabs 001

Just pulled a hydro sample from my attempt at this. With regards to my horrible crush on the specialty grains, I am pretty happy with it. Its not a red as i wanted it, but its probably due to the crush as well. The malty flavor is delicious, and its sitting at 1.012 right now. Tastes great, but I would have like a little more red color in it. This will be a great kegged summer beer for sure! I might bottle it and take it camping as a perfect campfire swill to get ll my buddies drink with. Its only at 5.8% right now, so it should be a sessionable tasty, malty beer. Thanks for the great recipe!

The 5 gallon batch a success and delicious. 10 gallon in the carboys now. Just doubled the recipe as per beersmith. The foam blew off my bubbler lol caught it in time I think. Well know in 3 more weeks. Wish us luck

Looking at doing an extract version (I started brewing a week ago and this will be my second batch). And so far this is what I've come up with on beersmith. Tell me what you think.

Irish Red Extract #1
Irish Red Ale
Extract (5.00 gal) ABV: 6.20 %
OG: 1.059 SG FG: 1.012 SG
IBUs: 29.2 IBUs Color: 16.3 SRM

Everything is pretty much the same but using 5lb 12oz of light pale extract, and bumped up the cascades to 1.2oz. Looking forward to trying an Irish red from a local GA boy! :mug:

Love the red color. Great taste. Will definitely brew again.

ForumRunner_20130602_203321.jpg

Just pulled a hydro sample from my attempt at this. With regards to my horrible crush on the specialty grains, I am pretty happy with it. Its not a red as i wanted it, but its probably due to the crush as well. The malty flavor is delicious, and its sitting at 1.012 right now. Tastes great, but I would have like a little more red color in it. This will be a great kegged summer beer for sure! I might bottle it and take it camping as a perfect campfire swill to get ll my buddies drink with. Its only at 5.8% right now, so it should be a sessionable tasty, malty beer. Thanks for the great recipe!

Hah, what a coincidence. This will be my first bottled batch since switching to kegging. I wanted something to take camping this summer, and this is gonna be it! :mug:

I originally intended to keg it, but realized just the other day I need something for camping, and don't wanna have to take a whole case of Centennial blonde to catch a buzz over the weekend, LOL.

If you were going to dry hop for a little more aromatic hop flavor what would you use? I'm still new to brewing but I love dry hopping (I'm a hop head). Although I haven't done it enough to know all the different charcters you get from the different hope varieties. I'm thinking 2-3 oz of willamette? Or would that be too much? Use a different hop variety?

Thank you in advance I'm very excited about trying the recipe

If you were going to dry hop for a little more aromatic hop flavor what would you use? I'm still new to brewing but I love dry hopping (I'm a hop head). Although I haven't done it enough to know all the different charcters you get from the different hope varieties. I'm thinking 2-3 oz of willamette? Or would that be too much? Use a different hop variety?

well... for the style, none... but if you want aroma... use something that smells good to you. For me I love to use cascades or citra for aroma hopping.

If you want to dry hop, don't do an Irish red.

Irish red has no hop aroma

Just finished brewing 6 gal of it. I used orange blossom honey, have to say that the color is a beautiful red but what is amazing is the flavor on it. I will be anxiously waiting for it to finish fermenting. I have it fermenting at 66F. Should ferment very cleaned.

Hey Mysticmead - thanks for the great recipe! I brewed this May 6th. Screwed up the recipe a bit and added too much caraaroma and melanoiden, and it had a really toasted taste to it (and the SRM was a little higher). I was pretty torqued at myself about it, but time really has made it amazing. The over toasted taste has faded and at last tasting it is a beautiful malty deep red mouthful of joy! Will be brewing this one again for sure. Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Mine has been in the bottles for 3 weeks and was adapted for extract with an additional 4oz of carafoam and I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast. The color is spectacular, and it has a nice malty and smooth flavor profile. I'm glad I made this one.

Hortega said:
Is there a way this can be made with extracts? I am new a brewing

Mysticmead posted this somewhere in the thread. I've never tried the extract version.

7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
12.0 oz Caraaroma
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Carafoam / cara-pils
1 oz Crystal hops 4.3% 60 minutes
1 oz cascade hops 5.9% 30 minutes
1 whirflock 10 minutes
1lb honey flameout

Just brewed this yesterday. I used WLP060 and made an appropriate starter.

The red looked awesome in the boil. Currently fermenting it under pressure at 2 PSI and will ramp up to 7 in about 4 days.

Got it in the fermenter about 7pm last night and this morning it was already going.

Just brewed this yesterday. I used WLP060 and made an appropriate starter.

The red looked awesome in the boil. Currently fermenting it under pressure at 2 PSI and will ramp up to 7 in about 4 days.

Got it in the fermenter about 7pm last night and this morning it was already going.

awesome. let me know how it turns out fermenting under pressure.

SO UPSET. My new work schedule is hectic at the least. I've been planning a 10 gal batch of this for this weekend for a long time. I finally made it to the LHBS 10 minutes before they closed to find out they were out of Melanoidan.

I had to substitute it some CaraMunich. I hope its still as good.

SO UPSET. My new work schedule is hectic at the least. I've been planning a 10 gal batch of this for this weekend for a long time. I finally made it to the LHBS 10 minutes before they closed to find out they were out of Melanoidan.

I had to substitute it some CaraMunich. I hope its still as good.

it should still turn out to be a great beer...

15 gallons already drank of this recipe, 5 still in a keg and have gallons 21-30 currently boiling away in the brew kettle. Everyone just loves this beer!!

Back