I'm not being nitpicky, this is a bad crush, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
Suffered poor efficiency, this seems to be the problem. Was hoping for some verification.

zs7ksKe.jpg

vyDQmOE.jpg

Well the grain that got crushed looks ok. It's the rest that look to be the problem.

Yeah, looks like you have a lot of uncrushed grain in their.

bovineblitz said:
Suffered poor efficiency, this seems to be the problem. Was hoping for some verification.

Consider it verified. Adjust your mill!

Did you crush it or did your LHBS.

It was done by a HBS. I got 56% efficiency, normally I get 70 on a very consistent basis from the same source.

Big problem.

The recipe is 23% rye so I expected somewhat of a drop in efficiency, but not 14 points... plus there's clearly intact barley.

May be worth picking up a cheap set of feeler gauges for when you go to the store. They might get irritated by it but I doubt they want to lose your business.

YUP bad crush. If you can , have them tighten that sucker up a few notches. OR buy a barley mill and set it at .035 and get 75-80% eff. all the time. Cheers

Get a grain mill. I had the same issue with my LHBS. I'm not sure but I think rye is like wheat where you need a bit of a finer crush to get good efficiency out if it. If you just use a normal crush your not going to get numbers.

Latest posts

Back