Keezer conversion - project recap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdonkeybeer

Reaction score
I just finished my very first chest freezer conversion. I am very happy with the results and thought I would share some sweet photo action. I am especially happy with the 50dollar freezer score and the 12dollar thermostat replacement.

image-492466317.jpg

I got a thermostat on eBay and wired it inline on an extension cord I had kicking around. Plugged the freezer into it an dropped the thermostats wire/gauge into the chest.

To be more accurate: It was 13.69 with 50 cent shipping. Here is a pic of it.

image-3892164526.jpg

The wiring was as easy a could be and the thing arrived about 6days after purchase. Never having done anything like it, I am very excited to have saved so much money.

I'm going to surface mount the new thermostat into the side of the freezer down by the compressor. Plenty of room down there and all I will have to do is cut a small rectangle with my rotary disk cutting tool.

very nice!
I mounted my controller where the factory control used to be.
Then ran the temperature senser though a hole I drilled at the hinge area.

My setup is; no collar, I open the lid on the keezer and dispense with picnic taps, good but...
At first i had the senser too high in the freezer, every time I'd open the lid the compressor ran.
So I ran it down lower and tucked it in the corner, now much better.

I will take the sensor placement into consideration. Thanks for the tip.

I just brought home 3 kegs from my buddies house... All filled and ready to carbonate. I'm flipping the switch to the on position tomorrow.

Back