Plastic "refrigerator bottle" for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgonzale

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on using a 2 or 3 gallon plastic "refrigerator bottle" for fermentation? They look attractive because they are cheap (under $20 on Amazon) and have a spout which looks like it would eliminate the need for a racking cane.

31q8aCdS8bL.jpg

I'm talking about using the plastic bottle as a primary, not for refrigeration...

I think you'll be able to clean it fairly well with various chemicals. It's also small enough that you can really give it a good shake.

The only issue I see is that the valve is very low. I imagine you'll suck a lot of trub through there when transferring. Of course, you could almost use it like a conical to remove much of the trub after fermentation.

On second thought, Better Bottle makes a 3-gallon plastic carboy that you can also add a ball valve too. I've seen the non-ported version at homebrew retailers for about $20. Long-term, I think the Better Bottle would be a better use of your money unless there are other logistical issues.

I'll *probably* go with a traditional glass or plastic carboy. But this looked intriguing and I was wondering if other people used one of these instead.

I figure you could put a book under the end with the tap during fermentation, so the trub accumulates away from the tap.

The other problem is that the opening in the top is too large for a stopper, but you could drill a hole in the cap for your airlock.

Back