Smack Pack problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WooHokie

Reaction score
So yesterday I finished up my brew day, was merrily going about the final stages and when pouring the yeast from the Wyeast packet into the bucket I had a momentary lapse of intelligence and allowed the nutrient pack to fall into the bucket.

I quickly dunked my hand in sanitizer, shook it off and reached in to grab the packet. I grabbed it immediately (it was sitting in the layer of foam above the beer) and pulled it out.

What are the odds that I've done permanent damage? Anyone else done this moronic thing before?

Sanitizer doesn't work so great on hands, but you will probably be fine. I sanitized spoon would be a better choice for next time - or you could have just left it in there if it wasn't floating. The internal packet itself is sanitized already, so the only source of contamination is you attempting to get it out.

Near zero chance of doing harm. you could have left it in too. The inside of the yeast pouch is as sanitized as it gets.

I read posts every day about these "moronic" episodes. In the great majority of them nothing bad happens.

Now look into making starters. The liquid yeast packages do not contain the optimum quantity of yeast cells for properly fermenting a 5 gallon batch.

Yes, it will ferment your beer but it is better to pitch the proper amount of yeast for the gravity or each batch.

Mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com are good sites for information on starters.

Well, this was an ESB with an OG of 1.040. Didn't think I needed very many more yeast cells for that bad boy.

Back