Belgian Fermentation without offgassing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcarey1222

Reaction score
I am confused by my last belgian batch. I realized I underpitched (because I did not make a starter) so I made a starter and pitched a about a day and a half later. The mix has been kept around 74 degrees and the temperature never sharply rose (like a previous batch I made). There was also never a noticeable offgassing through the airlock.

One thing I have now learned is that I need to oxygenate these high gravity brews, which I did not do for this batch.

Facts leading to my confusion:

The OG was 1.06 - 1.07, FG (current) is 1.005.

I took the "liquid" for the FG from the top. Is it possible that if I mixed it up, then I would measure the gravity as the same as the OG? (meaning that all of the particulate sunk to the bottom?)

Furthermore, when I took off the lid to take liquid I did notice air bubbles coming to the top.

I am pretty sure there isnt a leak in the bucket or top.

Any feedback is appreciated because I am torn whether or not to junk this batch.

You're missing some information, like how long was it between your OG and your FG readings?

And don't junk it!!! It probably fermented just fine and there was a leak in your lid. What makes you so sure there wasn't?

It was about 10 days in between readings.

I am not totally sure there wasnt a leak because this is the first batch with a new bucket/lid. However, when I pressed on the lid, air bubbled through the air lock.

The reading will be the same with fluid from the top or the bottom of the fermenter as the alcohols dissolve within the water completely - there is no particulate that can impact on the level that your bulb will float in the sample.

I had something similar, no bubbling during few days, but when pressing the lid there was air, or rather CO2, going from the airlock. I pressed the sides of the lid and felt how it was actually not properly closed.
Trust your gravity readings and try the beer, it is likelly ok. Also smell the gas coming from the airlock, if it is fermented you should feel the CO2.

Agree with the above post. Trust the hydrometer. It has been stated 1000 times on this forum: don't count bubbles or rely on airlock activity, rely on your hydrometer and your experience. Bottle your beer and drink it in 3 weeks! :mug:

Latest posts

Back