Pre-boil Volume was over 1g higher than Beersmith anticipated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently reviewed http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html and setup an equipment profile for my Blichmann 15g kettle and 10gal Igloo Mash tun. I started with the defaults of 1.25g loss to trub & chiller, 1.5g boiloff and .80 gal lauter tun deadspace. I ended up way high on preboil volume so I did a dry run on my mashtun and kettle and found my mashtun deadspace was more like .5g and my brewkettle left .2g when draining just water, so I set it to .25g allowing for extra to be lost to hoptrub (I use pellet not cone mostly).

Last week I did my second brew after making those adjustments of a blonde ale as shown below

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Centennial Blonde
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.27 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        82.1 %        
12.0 oz               Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         2        7.7 %         
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)    Grain         3        5.1 %         
8.0 oz                Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         4        5.1 %         
0.25 oz               Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 55.0 min     Hop           5        8.2 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min     Hop           6        7.0 IBUs      
0.39 oz               Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           7        3.8 IBUs      
0.39 oz               Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           8        1.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         9        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 14.19 qt of water at 159.8 F        150.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.01gal, 4.38gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
OG Shoot for 1.039 - 1.042
Keep Mash temp between 148 - 151
Keep IBU's between 17-20

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used the exact water measurements for my mash in, mash out and sparge volumes and when I had finished collecting first and second runnings I had 9.25 gal in the brew kettle. 10gal of water for a 9.75lb grain bill seemed way to high for me, but I figured I'd trust Beersmiths output.

My 60 min boil only boiled off 1.25g instead of the 1.5 I thought I'd have, but I still ended up with over 7 gallons of wort going into my fermenters when I expected less than 6.

Do I have something setup improperly in my equipment profile, recipe or mash profile (I left it untouched at default settings)?

2012-04-08_11-59-45.jpg

2012-04-08_11-42-34.jpg

I just finally got Beersmith 2 so take this with a grain of salt, but I noticed in the recipe the efficiency is slightly different than what is in the setup. I don't know if that would affect volume to that extent.

You also have instructions to add 14qts up top then 12 qts down below for the mash-in. Which did you follow?

JPHussey said:
You also have instructions to add 14qts up top then 12 qts down below for the mash-in. Which did you follow?

The 12qt is what's listed in the default light body single infusion mash profile. I used the 14qt figure provided at the recipe which I believe takes the mas profile and adjusts it by the grainbill & equipment profile..

Back