Yeah- I'm that hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
So I'm doing a partial mash amber, and I just put my grains in my rubbermaid cooler to mash for an hour and SWMBO, who has a due date of Oct 21 asks me how long it takes to brew my beer. She says that she thinks it will be "soon" but says that I "should" have enough time to "finish my beer." This is our 2nd, and the last one was early like this (although full term) and after she had me come home from work because it would be "soon" (although weeks early), we were at the hospital about 4 hours later. So, maybe I have time to finish it, and maybe I don't. Anyway, if jr. comes knockin' part way through the brew, then I'll obviously have to drop everything. Question is: what the hell do I do with the half finished wort? Shove it in the fridge? Dump it out?

Damn kids!!!

No more homebrew tonight.

Next question: This one will be a boy, but "Amber" would be the perfect name for a girl. The boy's first name would be Thomas. Any suggestions for a middle name under the circumstances? Serious and smartass responses are both encouraged

EdWort said:
Warrior, Nugget, Fuggle, Hallertau, Spalt, or Columbus!!! :D

Then again Maris is pretty cool too.

I'm using Northern Brewer and Willamette hops.

Thomas "Northern Brewer" doesn't sound right, but Thomas Willamette has definate potentional.

Anyway- what do I do with the wort if I don't finish?

Can I start cutting corners? What is the shortest full boil that I can do for bitterind hops? Do I have to go a full hour?

SWMBO is asleep now, so it might not be tonight. But then again, you never know. I would say the hell with the brew, but with her being as certain as she was that it will be tonight or early tomorrow morning, there is no way I'll sleep so I might as well do something constructive and see if I can finish.

I just finished the mash/halfass sparge and will start my boil.

You go dude! I had to talk my wife into the car on our second. "No, no, it will be ok" she said. "The contractions are only 1 minute apart." She calls the hospital. They say drive on over. "Are you sure?" she asks.
"How far away are you?" they ask. "Oh, about 30 minutes," she says. "Get in the car NOW!," they say. "Ok", she says. "Now you listen to me," I say. (Though I know it wasn't me she was listening to.)

Fast forward 30 minutes and me driving about 100mph down the 210 freeway in LA at 2 in the morning. Cop pulls me over. "Son, do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yeah, you want to deliver this thing, or do you want let me drive on up the street to the hospital?" I say.
"Have a nice night sir!"

I've never seen a cop run and jump in a car so fast.... :)

jdoiv said:
You go dude! I had to talk my wife into the car on our second. "No, no, it will be ok" she said. "The contractions are only 1 minute apart." She calls the hospital. They say drive on over. "Are you sure?" she asks.
"How far away are you?" they ask. "Oh, about 30 minutes," she says. "Get in the car NOW!," they say. "Ok", she says. "Now you listen to me," I say. (Though I know it wasn't me she was listening to.)

Fast forward 30 minutes and me driving about 100mph down the 210 freeway in LA at 2 in the morning. Cop pulls me over. "Son, do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yeah, you want to deliver this thing, or do you want let me drive on up the street to the hospital?" I say.
"Have a nice night sir!"

I've never seen a cop run and jump in a car so fast.... :)
Killer story man I loved it
as for our friend here I would say Thomas Alt or Thomas Porter or how about Thomas Ale maybe Thomas Bock
I could go on for days
JJ

Success! The batch is complete, and my son just woke up my wife and she said that the contractions have been about ten minutes apart for hours, then she went back to bed. Luckily, I am a stones throw from the hospital, so it's no rush yet. Now to clean up the kitchen and go to bed, but I'll probably have to get up just after falling a sleep. At least the bags are all packed.

paulthenurse said:
You could nickname him Trub.

Thanks for all the middle name suggestions, but I'll probably pick something halfway normal now that I think of it. Particularly since he let me finish the batch! That boy would have never heard the end of it if he hadn't.

Jaybird said:
newell456 said:
Thanks for all the middle name suggestions,
So whats not normal about all my suggestions??? LOL
congrats brother
Cheers
JJ

I asked my wife what she thought of "Willamette" for a middle name, and she said that she never heard of it, but if that's what I wanted, that was okay. I didn't tell her that it was the name of some hops I was using. I'm not going to use it, though.

newell456 said:
Jaybird said:
newell456 said:
Thanks for all the middle name suggestions,

I asked my wife what she thought of "Willamette" for a middle name, and she said that she never heard of it, but if that's what I wanted, that was okay. I didn't tell her that it was the name of some hops I was using. I'm not going to use it, though.
go get some sleep brether your gonna need it
JJ

You could shorten Williamette to William and it will be normal and beer related. The best of both worlds.

Congrats to you both.

If I might offer an unsolicited word of advice...

Everytime you brew (Or buy a ski ticket, or go to the movies or out to dinner, etc.) put a little bit of the fun money dollars aside in an education fund for him. You won't believe how fast the time goes. I started brewing when my first kid was a few months old. She's in Grad school now and it seems like it was yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital. And if you think that the HERMS brew sculpture you've been dreaming of buying is expensive, you haven't priced out grad school lately.

FWIW, I guess I'm pretty hard core myself. This past April SWMBO and I got married. All of her family shows up on Wednesday and, of course, they were all staying with us. Now I like all of her family and everything, but it was alittle crowded with the two of us, 6 other adults and 4 kids there, all trying to use one bathroom. Plus my daughters were coming up from their mothers house to 'get ready' at our house.

So Saturday morning comes and the house is crazy and there are people running around everywhere. The only thing I need to do is get a haircut and take a shower. So after a while I decide that I'm just in the way there and I head down to my local HBS. I'm sitting there on the stool, sampling a Hefe out of the kegerator and the owner say's, "I thought you were getting married today?"

"I am. At 4:00."

"What are you doing here?"

"They were driving me crazy at home, and I would have felt bad about going to a bar, so I came here."

And all of the guys in the shop got down on their knees and bowed down to me and called me their hero! LOL

Baby, beer, and mom are all fine. We left for the hospital the morning after I finished the batch, and he was born by c-section Sunday night. Everyone finally came home last night. I decided not to name him after anything beer related after he let me finish the batch. We went with Alexander for a middle name. Not that hardcore, I guess.

newell456 said:
Baby, beer, and mom are all fine. We left for the hospital the morning after I finished the batch, and he was born by c-section Sunday night. Everyone finally came home last night. I decided not to name him after anything beer related after he let me finish the batch. We went with Alexander for a middle name. Not that hardcore, I guess.

Bahhh!!!

Thomas Krausen Newell would rock for a name.

This thread is older than dirt, but I was brewing a pale ale and commented to my wife that I was out of homebrew and didn't have any to drink while brewing. She said I had some bottles downstairs (I have been kegging for years now.)

Wouldn't you know it, I just finished a batch and am enjoying some of the batch that I brewed the night before he was born.

It doesn't quite taste like Satan's Anus yet, but not quite right. But I'm drinking it, because I'm that hardcore.

The boys are napping. About to pitch my yeast, feeling really good with a homebrew, and about to pitch my yeast. Sitter will be here in an hour so SWMBO can get out of here with me. Life is good.

Back