Bullion, Galena, Brewer's Gold...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
Out of these three hops, which would be best for a late addition to add a fruity black currant note? Looking to add these to my upcoming dark black currant ale....

None, IMO. I use a lot of Brewer's Gold and it can have a background flavor faintly of dark currant or berry but if you are expecting to add true fruity notes with a late addition I doubt it will happen. Generally speaking it's not the kind of hop recommended for a late addition. My suggestion is to use Brewer's Gold as your bittering hop and use a small amount of fruit flavor extract if you want an enhancement to the fruit flavor/aroma.

I second the Brewers Gold as a bittering hop - I've never used it as a late addition, might be okay, but it is an awesome long boil hop. The 1st batch of beer I brewed was a kit with BG pellets - bittericious. Bitteriific? Isn't Bullion bred from BG? While we're on the subject, have you actually tasted black-currant? Everyone uses it as a descriptive term, but I've got to tell you, I've never seen it at the grocery store. What does it taste like?

^^^ Bramling Cross is what I immediately thought of, too. Bullion could work, but it's a bit harsh for a late addition, I think. Then again, I've only used it twice, so what do I know.

While we're on the subject, have you actually tasted black-currant? Everyone uses it as a descriptive term, but I've got to tell you, I've never seen it at the grocery store. What does it taste like?

They are tasty. Kind of wine like on their own- quite acidic. Somewhere in the neighborhood of concord grape and blueberry. I've added them to mead before and had great results. :drunk:

I don't think they are eaten much here, more popular in Eastern Europe- where they freaking love them.

I don't know why they're so rare in the States. I see red currants here and there, but almost never the black variety. It's a shame; I used to eat them by the bucket when I lived in DK.

Should I go with low hop bitterness and aroma for this brew then?

Here is what I was thinking...

Extract Recipe, 5 Gallons:

3 lbs amber DME
3 lbs dark DME (these and the amber I have on hand from other projects)
1 lb Wheat DME (for improved head retention)
1 lb Belgian Candy Syrup (Dark)
1 lb Belgian CaraMunich or Special B (for aroma)
1 lb Crystal 80-150L (for extra sweetness, color and to balance the acidity of the fruit)
1 lb toasted rolled oats (for toastiness and body)

Yeast: Saflager T-58

Fruit: 3 quarts canned black currants. Or if I can't get them (2011 was a bad year for currants in Poland, FYI), sour cherries.

Anyway, how would you hop this brew?

another thought occurs to me- pacific gem or nelson sauvin as contenders? I suppose I should explain what I am trying to do- looking for dark black as night color; dark dried fruit flavors with intense fresh fruit/berry flavors as well. Hoping for acidity from the fruits balanced with the sweetness from the carmel and specialty malts. big body, thick head and lots of alcohol. slight belgian characteristics from the yeast, and some hop background and aroma. don't want to overpower the fruit flavors, but think this could take a decent hopping, so trying to tread carefully with the hops and create something balanced. toying with the idea of calling it "The Dark Crystal". (if you don't mind me nerding out for a minute, lol...). perhaps I'm being a bit too ambitious with this project!

How does this look?

.25 oz Pacific Gem; 60M
.5 oz Pacific Gem; 20M
.25 oz Pacific Gem; Flameout

Back