Speidel Braumeister questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I'm getting a 50 litre Braumiester next month or more likely October. There are already a few very long threads on this rig but I have a few questions so I thought I'd start another.

I'll be moving from 5 gallon rig with a 10 gallon Igloo cooler + big pots in the kitchen to this.

1. They offer a 20 litre malt pipe to fit in the 50 L one for smaller batches. Is this really necessary? Has anyone done 5 gallon batches in the 50 litre Braumeister? One advantage of getting the larger one is the option of doing much bigger beers without having to add extract. The existence of this brings this into question...?!

2. Is the insulated cover necessary? I use a Bucket Water heater to speed up my kitchen boils <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BDB4UG> so I assume this will work fine in the Braumeister also.

3. They offer a hugely expensive Copper hood for $400+ - I am a little confused as to why it is so expensive and whether there is any real additional functionality there?

4. Cleaning/sanitation. Right now I siphon my cooled wort into my carboy and obviously sanitize the siphon before. I am unsure how safe it is to pour the cooled wort from the Braumeister spigot into a fermenter without sanitizing - or does the boil take care of this?

5. Speaking of cooling how does a 50-75' immersion cooler work in this thing?

Thanks for your responses.

Steve

Not familiar with the Braumiester but have a comment or two.

item 4. cooled wort is always at risk of infection. Use Starsan or bleachwater to sanitize anything that touches cooled wort.

item 5. Don't bother with an immersion chiller. Get a counterflow or a plate chiller, you will fondly remember the day you made that choice (at least I do).

Back