Holy crap..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
Ok ok ok... So my second ever cider has been fermenting for 5 days... It has smelled like complete ass for 3!!!!!! When will this madness end?? Is it too late? Should I dump it? Will it taste bad?

My first batch of cider did not do this.. I don't know why this one did!!

Can you further describe "complete ass"? I think I smell fine and I've been described that way before...

I'm on batch #2 of cider. Most of my previous fermentation has been wine, where I often don't use an airlock until fermentation really slows. I usually use sulfide solution, but don't get THAT many bubbles after I move to air lock. Batch #1 of cider I used a different cleaner and all was well. This batch I used the sulfur solution and my kitchen smells like rotten egg farts. I removed the lid off my fermenter and the cider smells inside is fine, but the air moving through the sulfur picks up some flavor and carries it into the kitchen. Pew. Not sure if that was your issue, thought I'd let you know what mine was and that it was a "non" issue.

What yeast are you doing? What OG? What temp? Did you use nutrient?

I think some yeast kicks out the rhino farts more than others.
The first batch I did using one of the English cider strains kicked out some serious sulphur. Even after 3 weeks, it still smelled like @ss. Moved most of it to secondary containers and plan on letting it sit for another month. (I bottled up a few to try the week of Thanksgiving, but I'm not holding out hope).

The batch of cyser I've got going now is far less funky. I'm using champagne yeast for that one.

Others with more experience can chime in, but defintely don't dump it. It might need a couple months of conditioning when it's finished fermenting, but the sulphur thing is normal (from what I've read).

It's pretty normal. You can usually control it by using plenty of yeast nutrient though.

Well dang. Yea I used coopers special ale dry yeast.. I have used mutons premium gold ale yeast before and never had this issue. I really hope this goes away cause I def don't want this smell lasting any longer than it has.. How long does it take to leave the taste??

With all this talk of Rhino farts, I feel lucky. It smells of sweet apples in my dark closet this last two weeks. Fementing is slowing now. I would guess I'll be racking next weekend. I'm sacared to try any other yeast now on my next batch.

Back