Sierra Nevada Ruthless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
Casually glanced at the bottom of the Celebration six pack case and noticed a beer I hadn't seen before: Ruthless Rye IPA

Apparently they 86'ed Glissade Golden Bock in favor of this for their late winter / early spring seasonal.

Cool!

I remember hearing rumors about this recently. Glad to hear that it has been seen in print. I need to go look up the skirt of one of my sixers of Celebration.

I just picked up a twelve pack of this at the store and I must say it's pretty damn delicious. It has that distinct rye spiciness but it isn't the be all end all character of the beer. it's in a great balance with the hop bitterness. I'd like to comment on the aroma but I've been battling a hell of a head cold the last few days and can't smell a damn thing. easily my new favorite seasonal of theirs. it's good enough that I hope it makes it into their year around line up.

i saw it yesterday ... but all out of beer money until the 15 th.
:( ... I will be trying it soon though :) ... any other reviews out there ??

Wow I saw this ad a month ago in BYO I can't believe it's January already. I can't wait to try. Never had a rye beer yet.

Bought a sixer of this today. Didn't take me long to drink two bottles. I enjoyed them thoroughly, even though I'm not the biggest SN fan.

Bought a sixer of this today. Didn't take me long to drink two bottles. I enjoyed them thoroughly, even though I'm not the biggest SN fan.

HA HA !!! ... I just found out I am getting paid tomorrow and not monday since monday is a bank holiday ... I'll be trying this, this weekend ... cool ... :mug:

It has made it's way all the way down to S. Florida. It tastes like a good replacement for their Spring Bock but I still miss the ESB.

Saw this at Costco last night and at about $25/case, went for it. Oh so good. Shared some with my brother-in-law, doubt it'll last the weekend. Ummmmmmm.

In Venice CA just came across this beer at riteaid. Was a pleasant surprise! Didn't know it was out. Bought a 12er for $12.99 and went home. Just drank one. Its good! And I feel nice! Love the packaging!

It's a definite "BUY".

Way good.

BTW: I never connected with Glissade...

Agreed just trying the ruthless rye ipa now. very good, nice mintyness from the rye.

I really didn't like the glissade either, had a funkiness that I didn't care for.

Oh! & $6.99 a 6'er best buy at Piggly Wiggly!

i was in a pinch and had to have my first one out of the bottle ... anyway ... the rye spice is right there at first, but then it just kicks back and lets the rest of the malt and hops shine ... the bitterness on the backend is just right IMO ... this is something I really want to try and find a good clone for ... any out there yet ???

the title of this thread was very misleading. I was hoping to hear some first hand behind the scenes dirt about some shady business practices, maybe some kind of cut throat sales story....

picked up a 6 pack for 8.99 plus tax. Overall good beer, nice bitterness as others had said. I think i might like it more if it was just a tad bit more dry and less sweet

picked up a 6 pack for 8.99 plus tax. Overall good beer, nice bitterness as others had said. I think i might like it more if it was just a tad bit more dry and less sweet

i have had a few more now and i am sort of with you on this .... it probably would be a little better if it were a little less sweet ... still a great rye ipa though .... we need a clone !!!

Just found some at local Sack n Save on the west side of O`ahu. Hmmmm not bad at all. This is my first Rye. It's a different taste for sure. Cost $7.99 for a six pack. I think a 12er was about $14.

I like rye beers, and I like IPAs, and I like most SN products. So, I had high hopes for this one. But it under-whelmed me. There is not much taste. What taste it has is subtle and interesting, but it is just too weak to interest me much.

Easy to drink , spicey and bitter at the same time. I have 4 of 12 left saving for my Birthday this weekend. Maybe...

I just looked up Ruthless (as I was drinking it) to see what kind of ingredients it used, and one thing stuck out to me. It says it has 'experimental' hops for aroma. Anyone know what thats all about? I CBF to look anything up about it honestly, after 3 of these plus a long day at work.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/ruthless.html

edit: on another note, once we figure out what the deal is with the whole experimental business, a clone shouldn't be too hard since SN seems to be very forthcoming with details about their beer on their website.

Yes I had the pleasure to drink a Ruthless rye last night and it is definitely on I will be on the look out for very good pale ale with a hint of spiciness.

I like rye beers, and I like IPAs, and I like most SN products. So, I had high hopes for this one. But it under-whelmed me. There is not much taste. What taste it has is subtle and interesting, but it is just too weak to interest me much.
+1.. I'm, SN biggest cheerleaders.
But this seems weak of rye taste.
Now I don't like anything with rye,so that might be it
1st rye beer i had was He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
That was two years ago.And i still have its after taste .

I tried some last week...very nice. I don't remember ever having the Glissade, but I can get used to this.

I saw this at the store the other day, but decided to buy sisters of the moon ipa instead. I'm gonna have to try this next time. I love sierra nevada.

Kevin

Some of you guys are hard to please :). Had this yesterday for the first time......excellent beer very well balanced I thought. Too sweet? Is that hop head parlance for being able to taste something besides hops?;) Would love to get a clone of this tasty stuff worked up. I WILL buy more, even at $7.99 per here in the hinterland.

I am drinking a Denny Conn rye Ipa right now .... I have to say its at least equal to ruthless .... never realized how good Mt hood hops were .... yum and cheers rye beer lovers! ! !

I am drinking a Denny Conn rye Ipa right now .... I have to say its at least equal to ruthless .... never realized how good Mt hood hops were .... yum and cheers rye beer lovers! ! !

I have to disagree, Ruthless has more bit, where as Denny's is smoother. The Mt Hood hops are more prevelent in Denny's, if the dry hopping schedule is followed. I like the mouthfeel of Denny's over SN's, but that's just my tastes. In no way am I saying SN's Ruthless is junk, it's just two different beers altogether.

No disrespect intended,
Z

Alittle off topic, but I just had the sierra nevada knock on wood last night and I have to say that it is prob. one of my new favorite beers. The flying saucer had it on special for there 12th anniversary, I believe. It is a bourbon oak barrel aged stout. It was amazing. Just thought I'd suggest it to everyone who likes sierra nevada brews.

Kevin

Back