Black IPA thoughts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goliath86

Reaction score
Hey all.

I spend most of my time creepin around with few posts... But I wanted to get a little bit of input with this recipe.... Its ingredients I have on hand, and its mostly a tweak on one I have done before....

Thanks in advance.

~5 gallon batch...

15.5 lbs Pale
1.00 lbs Crystal 60
1.00 lbs Black Patent (last 30 min of mash)
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt (last 30 min of mash)

***1.5-2 lbs of flaked rye that I would love to add if you think it would be a good addition... I think to make it a worthwhile addition i need about 4....

75 minute mash @ 152

90 minute boil

2.00 oz Chinook [11.2%] 90 min
1.00 oz Centennial [8.8%] 20 min
1.00 oz Chinook [11.2%] 20 min
1.00 oz Cascade [6.4%] 0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.1%] Dry Hop 7-10 Days
1.00 oz Centennial [8.8%] Dry hop 7-10 Days
****** OR 1.00 oz Chinook [11.2%] Dry hop 7-10 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.1%] Dry hop 7-10 Days

I have more Chinook/Warrior/Centennial/Cascade/Columbus to add if anyone sees fit... Im looking for something that is inline with Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous, but not a full on clone.
Good Resiny bitterness, little bit of a fruity/citrus nose to it... Confident and substantial maltiness, but not anything that could be considered really malt forward....

Thanks all

personally, I would lose the black patent and sub in 8-10 ounces of carafa III, or some other debittered black malt. Black IPAs dont really need the roastiness or "cigar ash" flavor that black patent lends. The carafa III will add the color without the flavor. Add it to the last 5 minutes of the mash.

Definitely avoid the black patent, especially a whole pounds worth. Carafa is the way to go, 8-10 oz's like mentioned will be right on. You can sub they rye for some of the base to add an additional twist.

I did one recently and used 8oz debittered black and 4oz C80.

Just a nice hint of roast flavor. Mostly tastes like an IPA with a slight roast finish. Love it.

The last one I did i had a Debittered... I just dont have anymore laying around at the moment... I agree 100% with the idea of just adding a little roastiness without the bitterness, I was hoping that the later addition to the mash would help...

Ill prolly just skip it for the moment, and order some debittered and more rye when I get a minute... Maybe even some Simcoe....

Thanks all I appreciate it.

Another option is grinding the grains. You only need a very small amount or ground grain to get your color

... This is what I am leaning towards now ...

12.5 lbs Pale Malt (Probably Marris Otter)
2.5 lbs Flaked Rye
1.0 lbs Vienna Malt
.75 lbs De-Bittered Black (Last 30 min of mash)
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt (Last 30 min of mash)

*mash at 153 F

2.00 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (90 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [6.50%] (30)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (20)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (15)
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] (10)
0.50 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (5)
0.50 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (Dry Hop)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop)

Did a half batch black IPA with 200g of Black Malt that I ground in mortar & pestle and cold-steeped overnight in the fridge, strained and added last 5 min of boil, got a nice black color, with not much roast flavor.

May try again with carafa-3 or some debittered black, but as far as the flavor goes cold steeped seemed to limit it a lot.

Cold steeping in the fridge overnight is the way to go if you don't have debittered.

i think the .75 of patent and the .25 of choco should be steeped in just enough water to cover it, in the fridge, overnight.

Strain it out and add it to the last ten minutes of the boil.

I've done this several times and I've also worked with debittered malt. Both techniques turn out great. Deschutes uses cold steeping for its Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale, and it's one of my favorite examples of the style.

Agreed with the cold steeping.

But, I want a bit more of the roastiness... I have had a few friends do the cold steep thing and they just seem to come out thin tasting... It is summer, I dont plan on having something really heavy that will stick to your pallet too long...

I did a Black IPA yesterday. Did Carafa II in the mash and 4oz of chocolate added at vorlauf. I grind the non-mash grains separately (in this case just the 4oz chocolate) and have them in a bowl next to my MLT.

I used Crystal 10L, Carafa II, Special Roast, and the Chocolate as my specialty grains.

Another vote for carafa in a CDA. I used carafa II special/dehusked in my CDA and it had the perfect amount of roast and .7 lbs made it nice and dark too. I posted the recipe in the recipe section.

Back