Interested in using isinglass for a lager for clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
Im making another light lager, and i wanted to use isinglass this time to help cut back on the suspended solids.

My last light lager it fermented for 10 days then i lagered it for 40 days at 35 deg., and even with all that time in cold storage i still noticed it wasnt as clear as i would have wanted it to be, but i dont know enough about isinglass to know when the appropriate time to add it is.

Would i add it when i rack to the secondary before the cold storage phase?

I have used Knox gelatin in a secondary with excellent results. Did a Helles and a German Pilsner this winter that are absolutely crystal clear. Yes, before cold storage should work. My general practise with a lager would be to rack to a secondary for lagering before moving to a keg. The extra step (cold secondary) is probably unnecessary but I have lots of carboys and only a few kegs.

i have my kegerator for the cold storage part, but even that didnt quite clear it up enough.

but putting in the isinglass before racking to secondary is cool?

not be jump in uninvited, but.....

I also asked a question, almost identical to this, last month. I got the exact same few answers, but none of them actually answered the original question (much the same as this thread).

Can anyone tell me (and the op) about isinglass use?

it helps take the suspended solids (yeast and other things) down to the bottom to make the beer more clear. the beer ( I think) is positively charged and the isinglass is negatively charged, so the two attract then sink to the bottom of the carboy, thus making your beer a little clearer

Anyone know if there's an issue adding isinglass to the keg? I've got an Oktoberfest at 34F that's absolutely refusing to drop its yeast and throwing all kinds of esters.

Back