White sediment in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
My first ever attempt @ cider is: 5 gallons of farm stand cider (unpasturized, no preservatives), Gravity reading was 1.052
I added 5 campden tablets, 2tsp pectic enzyme, 2 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and let it sit for 24 hrs
next I added a packet of Safale S-04 yeast.
The temp in my basement is 60* to 63* which is where my fermenter is located.
It was in the primary fermenter for approx 2 weeks, gravity reading was 1.010 when I racked it into the secondary. It remained in the secondary until it clarified (approx 2 more weeks). Gravity reading was down to .998 with no change for 3 days so I decided to bottle it.
I disolved a 5oz packet of priming sugar in 2 cups of water & stirred it into the cider while siphoning into the bottling bucket.

Last night, I decided to try a bottle (after it had set for 3 weeks) to test the carbonation level. It was in a clear bottle so I could see some white sediment in the bottom of the bottle. There was some carbonation, but it was very low.
Did I do anything wrong here? Will the carbonation level increase if I let it sit longer?

This is written for a similar nervous noob in the beer section, but the answer is the same whether it is beer/cider/mead/wine...anything that you prime to carb.

Any bottle conditioned beer will have sediment. It's a natural byprodcut of living beers. You add sugar to yeast in a bottle to make the beer carb, you will have sediment. Even in many commercial microbrews. That's how we harvest the yeast.

Ale yeast is top growing, and carbonation is a mini fermentation, and sometimes you get to see the mini krausen form and fall. It will fall on it's own and become the sediment layer we all know and love.

No good beer, micro or homebrew should be drunk out of the bottle. We're not talking little flavored pizzwater here like bud light. Good beer has flavor and aroma that can't be truly appreciated coming out of a nickle sized hole.

Do yourself a favor and pour your good beer in a glass heck, even a plastic cup is better than drinking it out of the bottle. And do it right and leave the sediment behind by pouring to the shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXn4UBjQkE

the sediment is normal, just yeast falling out.

What temps did you store at after you bottle? Basement temps are a little low at 63*. you need temps in the 70s for good carbonation. if yoou want more carbonation try to roust the yeast by swirling the bottles and moving to a warmer location for a week or so. :mug:

Thanks guys, Glad to know that I didn't do anything wrong. I do have the bottles stored in the basement, so the low temp could account for the low carbonation. I am going to have a hard time finding someplace with temps in the 70's this time of year as I keep the thermostat set @ 67*.
Seeing that there was some carbonation that occured @ that temp in 3 weeks; Is it safe to assume that it will continue to carbonate, in the basement, if I wait it out for a few months or longer?

Back