How long does liquid sorghum last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midfielder5

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a bottle of unopened liquid sorghum extract from Northern Brewer.
Does any one know the shelf life before it goes "bad"?
I kept it in my brew closet at about 60-70 degrees.

For barley malt extract, they talk about avoiding old LME because of twangy off-flavors.
Wondering how long that means in relation to sorghum.

Thanks!

First, I'm assuming this is an unopened container. If it has been opened, I would freeze it and then try to use it ASAP, as opening it exposes it to air and the possibility of mold.

But, if this is unopened, my guess is that this is a pretty hard call to make. I mean, how long did that bottle sit on a shelf before you got it? How long the extract sit in a big barrel from Briess before NB put it in that jug?

If you are worried about it, I'd say throw it in the freezer, as that will surely slow down any reactions that may be happening.

I think it is safe to say that you want to use fresh extract whenever you can, but this isn't like milk where it is going to spoil after xx weeks. I have heard, though, that the best way to store extract long term involves a pot, water, hops, and then some yeast...

Tip from my LHBS:
Put a 1/2 shot of strong liquor on top. Mold won't grow, and it will keep unrefrigerated for as long as you need (at least a year or so).

Tip from my LHBS:
Put a 1/2 shot of strong liquor on top. Mold won't grow, and it will keep unrefrigerated for as long as you need (at least a year or so).

Is that just for an already opened container (I'm assuming you wouldn't open a sealed container, peel the foil off, and pour a shot on top...)

Yeah, just put the shot in for a container that was already opened.

Heck, I might even do that for my milk jugs of sorghum from Northern Brewer. I doubt they pasturize and cleanitize the jug just before they put the lid on. Then again, maybe it's held down with special tape...that looks like box tape, but really has anti-microbials.;)

Latest posts

Back