Shrimp Scampi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I just felt like sharing what I made for dinner. :D

The color is off in the picture though from the jpeg conversion but you still get the idea.

Shrimp_Scampi_2_1_of_1_.jpg

Looks delish! Have you tried it with linguine? Supposedly the shape/size of the noodle affects the ability (and amount) of the sauce to cling to the noodle (more surface area on thinner noodles). IIRC, thinner sauces (like scampi) typ use thinner noodles (like linguine) and thicker sauces (like alfredo) get thicker noodles (like fett). But it's really all personal preference. At home I typ just use whatever is in the pantry unless it's Fettucine Alfredo (one of my favorite things!), that must use fett.

Yeah, this wasn't really planned. I just came home and pretty much threw it together so it got whatever pasta I had. I always have fettucine on hand since I make a lot of alfredo too. If I had the day off I would have actually probably made the noodles too then I could have had them thinner.

It is easy as hell and delicious. I use a little bit of flour for a roux but its still only 4 ingredients.:D I think a child could do it. Hardest part is grating the parm.

I used to just use a ton of parm but since I started using good parm-reg it doesn't take nearly as much to get the flavor where I want it and its not quite thick enough.

I may have to go to the store and make fetticiune alfredo tonight. I'm still on my morning coffee and you guys are making me hungry.... And making my coffee taste like garlic. yuck

Yea, I usually go middle of the road on the parm. I always get sticker shock with the really good stuff!

I used to until I realized that I don't need to completly cover stuff like I was used to doing. To me I probably save money buying the better stuff because I use much less of it.

Then I need to splurge and try the really good stuff.:mug:

mosquito,
Do you put garlic in your fettucine alfredo? I like garlic but not in my alfredo. Personal preference.:)

Yes, lots. But I put garlic in nearly everything. Never tried it without garlic. Maybe I've been misled on the recipe.

Yes, lots. But I put garlic in nearly everything. Never tried it without garlic. Maybe I've been misled on the recipe.
IMO/IME, alfredo sauce is exactly 3 ingredients: cream, butter, parmesan. But lots of folks put garlic in it. For me it's such a perfect sauce as is and garlic detracts (and I like garlic). You should try it without garlic just to see what you think.

I do like fresh ground black pepper on it but that's at the table.

mosquito,
Do you put garlic in your fettucine alfredo? I like garlic but not in my alfredo. Personal preference.:)

I was thinking the same thing. I love some really garlicy bread with it but not actually in the sauce.

I do like fresh ground black pepper on it but that's at the table.

I tried white pepper in the sauce once and didn't like it at all.

Back