How to train my yeast to eat gluten free. (They are so picky)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpinator

Reaction score
So,

As some of you may (or may not) have seen, I have attempted 2 GF beers so far, the first one, with mostly sorghum extract, and the second one with mostly tapioca extract. The fermentation seems to take off quickly (within hours of pitching yeast DRY), but it then decides to start lagging until I have to step in about two weeks into fermentation when it stops. I talked a guy at my LHBS, and he suggested that I boil up some sorghum and water, cool it down, pitch one packet of dry yeast & nutrient, let it take off for a day or so, then pitch that when I have brewed and cooled down my wort. Any expert advice on if this would work or not? I would like to hear your ideas.

Thanks,

Ian

Making a starter from sorghum is a very good idea. As yeast grow, they adapt to the nutrients and sugars available. You might also look into yeast washing and pitching on the cake. Both techniques take advantage of multiple generations of growth and adaptation.

Ultimately, you might evolve the sorghum equivalent of Cry Havoc or Pacman.

Making a starter from sorghum is a very good idea. As yeast grow, they adapt to the nutrients and sugars available. You might also look into yeast washing and pitching on the cake. Both techniques take advantage of multiple generations of growth and adaptation.

Ultimately, you might evolve the sorghum equivalent of Cry Havoc or Pacman.

Do you think I should use the proportionate amount of sorghum to the starter size, or dilute it a little bit? Also, are there any dry yeast strains that are tougher than others or might work best for this? Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance.

Back