American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in the Home Brew Market, right below the recipe database on the main forum page. It's under "sampling and critiquing"

I just bought ingredients for this and the AA for the citra was 14.1. When I plugged the OP recipe with this hop info into Beersmith it gave me an IBU of 94.5! What's the IBU range for this brew?

Blackhawkbrew said:
I just bought ingredients for this and the AA for the citra was 14.1. When I plugged the OP recipe with this hop info into Beersmith it gave me an IBU of 94.5! What's the IBU range for this brew?

Did you calculate the FWH as a 20 min addition or 60?

Blackhawkbrew said:
Beersmith has a FWH selection when adding hops to the recipe so I just used that option.

If you double click it you can change the time. Doing 20 min more accurately reflects the actual (perceived) bitterness.

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 155 F

Here is the extract/PM conversion:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 3g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

First, let me say I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe this spring!

A question re: the extract recipe, would you need a bit more than 6lbs DME to get an OG of 1.065? Punching this into TastyBrew (5lb batch, all grains set to "steep" rather than "mash") I got 1.059 OG with 6lbs DME, and had to step up to 6.6lb DME to get up to 1.065 OG. Maybe this just reflects different assumptions b/w TastyBrew and BrewSmith re: sugar extraction from steeped grains, but would be interesting to know if extract brewers are able to hit 1.065 OG using the 6lbs DME.

A question re: the extract recipe, would you need a bit more than 6lbs DME to get an OG of 1.065? Punching this into TastyBrew (5lb batch, all grains set to "steep" rather than "mash") I got 1.059 OG with 6lbs DME, and had to step up to 6.6lb DME to get up to 1.065 OG. Maybe this just reflects different assumptions b/w TastyBrew and BrewSmith re: sugar extraction from steeped grains, but would be interesting to know if extract brewers are able to hit 1.065 OG using the 6lbs DME.

Yes. I think it might be misleading to call it an extract/PM recipe. The 1lb of Munich needs to be mashed. If you sub the Munich Malt for Munich extract, you've got an extract recipe.

I'm not even sure what steeping Munich malt would do.

So instead of the FWH option add a 20 addition?

I actually ignored the IBU's for the beer (there is no "range" when you're cloning a beer) and this beer is focused on late hop additions.

However, I did use FWH on my software to predict the 0.75 oz addition; and I've used it as a reference for future beers. Having made 10-15 FWH beers now, I trust my software prediction for FWH IBU calculation and believe it to be real.

I'd encourage you to do the same with BeerSmith or whatever you use to get an understanding of the IBU from FWH.

I also brewed the partial mash version and came out with an OG of 1.058. I'm going to brew it again next week. I'm also wondering if I need a bit more than 6 lbs of DME.

I actually ignored the IBU's for the beer (there is no "range" when you're cloning a beer) and this beer is focused on late hop additions.

However, I did use FWH on my software to predict the 0.75 oz addition; and I've used it as a reference for future beers. Having made 10-15 FWH beers now, I trust my software prediction for FWH IBU calculation and believe it to be real.

I'd encourage you to do the same with BeerSmith or whatever you use to get an understanding of the IBU from FWH.

AOD, when you say you use FWH on your software and trust its predictions, do you have the time set to 20min or 60min? Just wondering as I'm new to FWH. I know the IBU calcs with these programs are iffy at best, but it's nice to have something to go off of.

Funny that someone asked about the 14.1% Citra - I just got the same stuff and am also getting crazy IBU's from Beersmith. I figured I'd just let it ride and follow the recipe cuz it's sounds like a flavor blast to me. Plus the idea of more than a 1/2 pound of citra in 5 gallons is just ba***s.

If you follow the original recipe it won't be overly bitter even with the bit higher AA%. You could dial the FWH back a bit, maybe.25 oz or so if you are concerned

Been looking forward to brewing this for over a month and finally got my ingredients. In my haste today, I realized that I lost my yeast packet somewhere and was super late to work, forced to leave my wort in the kettle (covered). I know everything should work out once I get back with more yeast from my LHBS in the am, but still disappointed with myself. Oh well, ironing out the kinks is what this is all about!

AOD, when you say you use FWH on your software and trust its predictions, do you have the time set to 20min or 60min? Just wondering as I'm new to FWH. I know the IBU calcs with these programs are iffy at best, but it's nice to have something to go off of.

I trust the software calc for FWH entered as "FWH". The tastybrew.com calculator (free) has an option for FWH and it estimates the IBU contribution only from FWH. This is a neat feature.

For comparison sake, my software calc was within 1.5 IBU of the original recipe shown on this page. It is stated the original recipe used 20 mins boil as the estimate for FWH addition. Based on this, the FWH calculator at Tastybrew is roughly treating FWH IBU contribution as similar to 20 minute addition.

If you use 60 minutes in a software program to calculate FWH IBU it will WAY overpredict! Use 20 mins if you do not have a "FWH" option.

~Adam

I trust the software calc for FWH entered as "FWH". The tastybrew.com calculator (free) has an option for FWH and it estimates the IBU contribution only from FWH. This is a neat feature.

For comparison sake, my software calc was within 1.5 IBU of the original recipe shown on this page. It is stated the original recipe used 20 mins boil as the estimate for FWH addition. Based on this, the FWH calculator at Tastybrew is roughly treating FWH IBU contribution as similar to 20 minute addition.

If you use 60 minutes in a software program to calculate FWH IBU it will WAY overpredict! Use 20 mins if you do not have a "FWH" option.

~Adam

Nice - good to know. Thanks Adam. Vacuum sealed my pound and a half of citra last night. Man that hop smells good. Stoked to brew this.

Did this today as my 3rd BIAB attempt. I'm still struggling a bit with gravity readings and volumes relating to the BIAB process. I ended up with a little less than 5.5 gallons reading at 1.070. Topped off with some water to try and get close to target volume and 1.065. Ended up getting the volume close but used a little too much water and ended up at 1.062. I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate my BIAB system as I came in a little low on this one and even bumped the 2 row up to 13#. Re hydrated two packets of S05 and pitched. Fermentation has not taken off yet but I will check it tomorrow.

Edit: Forgot to mention the hydro sample tasted great. Very bitter, though I think I had a ton of hop particles in it. Lately I've been too lazy to bag my hops up.

Just cracked my first one of these. Did three weeks primary, four weeks in bottles. Very good. I love citra hops so I knew this would be a hit for me.

My only concern is this is by far my cloudiest beer. My beers had been getting clearer and clearer after adding irish moss and using of a wort chiller.

oh well. taste great.

Brewed today but I stole the hopping schedule for a Maris Otter/Citra SMASH and used WLP041.

Dry hopped this yesterday, 3oz of whole leaf in a bag and they barely fit, took a tasting also, tasted great!

Excited to finally get this brewed this weekend. Just wondering, has anyone done a whirlpool or hopstand at the end of the boil with this? I usually whirlpool and let stand for a total of 30 min or so. Just wondering if I should lower my FWH to account for any extra isomerization, or just start cooling at KO. Thanks for any feedback. :mug:

Excited to finally get this brewed this weekend. Just wondering, has anyone done a whirlpool or hopstand at the end of the boil with this? I usually whirlpool and let stand for a total of 30 min or so. Just wondering if I should lower my FWH to account for any extra isomerization, or just start cooling at KO. Thanks for any feedback. :mug:

I'll be doing that when I brew this in a few weeks - this is tentatively the hop schedule I was thinking of using:

.75 oz FWH
1.5 oz 10 min
3.75 oz hot-steep 30 mins
3 oz dry hop

I'm not going for an exact clone so I just designed this based on past experience for what I thought would work well.

Racked this to secondary today. Gravity reading was at 1.020. Wonder if it will drop lower or if it's done. It's only been in primary for 10 days so I'm hoping I get a few more points out of it. Added 3 oz Citra dry hop in a 1gal paint strainer bag with some marbles to weigh it down. Hydrometer tasted great. Solid IPA bitterness and just a ton of fruity flavor. Tasted pretty citrusy, reminded me ever so slightly of Sweetwater IPA.

Made this beer twice in a row since it was such a hit... Thanks for the recipe!

I'll be doing that when I brew this in a few weeks - this is tentatively the hop schedule I was thinking of using:

.75 oz FWH
1.5 oz 10 min
3.75 oz hot-steep 30 mins
3 oz dry hop

I'm not going for an exact clone so I just designed this based on past experience for what I thought would work well.

Anchor, thanks for the feedback, I like your thinking. I tinkered with the hopping just a bit. My Citra is 13.9AA, so I knocked the FWH down to .5oz and lowered the 15min addition to 1oz. I'm gonna knock out with 2oz and whirlpool for about 15-20 min before turning on the chiller. Should keep me around 67 IBU'S or so. Gonna brew it up tomorrow. I'll update in a few weeks. Thanks Skeez for all the hard work on this one!

This is very good, had to give it 2 months after brew.

image-405275108.jpg

Freaking love this brew blew a keg in a week and a half. Buddy of mine has ten going as well.

I Just scored a lb of pellet citra at a lesser known LHBS which was the only thing holding me back from trying this. My citra are 14.1% so I'm also going to follow a lighter hop schedule like that listed above.

Has anyone found that using one package of dry yeast is not sufficient for the expected 1.065 OG? Planning to brew really soon.

Sheldon

I Just scored a lb of pellet citra at a lesser known LHBS which was the only thing holding me back from trying this. My citra are 14.1% so I'm also going to follow a lighter hop schedule like that listed above.

In Milwaukee area? Northern Brewer has been out of US-04 the last few times I've been there, and it's annoying, and Purple Foot is closed on Sunday....

Okay, I've got a question on this... I mashed a bit warm (~158) simply because I overshot my mash-in temp. I figured I'd end up with a bit chewier beer due to more unfermentables (which I tend to prefer). 10 days of primary, 7 days dry-hop, 10 days naturally carbonate with corn sugar (don't ask why, just figured I'd try something different). It ended up thin actually, very little mouth feel and unable to hold much head at all (but the flavor is superb).

Other than perhaps my lab-grade alcohol thermometer somehow losing calibration and actually mashing colder I'm confused. Thoughts? (and no, I completely forgot to take an OG or FG so I have no idea)
I know I could just add some melanoidin or carapils in the future to counteract this but I don't want to put a band-aid on if I've developed a systematic problem.

Okay, I've got a question on this... I mashed a bit warm (~158) simply because I overshot my mash-in temp. I figured I'd end up with a bit chewier beer due to more unfermentables (which I tend to prefer). 10 days of primary, 7 days dry-hop, 10 days naturally carbonate with corn sugar (don't ask why, just figured I'd try something different). It ended up thin actually, very little mouth feel and unable to hold much head at all (but the flavor is superb).

Other than perhaps my lab-grade alcohol thermometer somehow losing calibration and actually mashing colder I'm confused. Thoughts? (and no, I completely forgot to take an OG or FG so I have no idea)
I know I could just add some melanoidin or carapils in the future to counteract this but I don't want to put a band-aid on if I've developed a systematic problem.

Do you have any left? Pour a bottle in your hydro tube, and take a reading. I mashed mine low (150) and it's a little thin. I actually liked the taste after 1 week in bottle more than 2 weeks

In Milwaukee area? Northern Brewer has been out of US-04 the last few times I've been there, and it's annoying, and Purple Foot is closed on Sunday....

the purple foot had the citra. I bought a packet of 04 from nb last Sunday, was it the last one? LOL

I have been toying with the idea of brewing small experimental batches to try new recipes, so yesterday I actually pulled the trigger and this beer was on the top of my list to try!! So for my first ever experimental small batch, I made 2.5 gallons indoors on the stove vice on my 10G setup in the garage. Everything went suprisingly well given that I have not brewed on the stove in a long time. Hit OG on the nose and FG was .002 over. Pitched last night and had bubbles within an hour or two (probably over pitched...) and nice krausen this morning. I started the ferment at 69F but have since given the carboy a water bath to lower it to around 65F or so...will see where it ends up later today. Very excited about this beer's potential! Delicious aroma from both the malt and hops. Looks like I am going to be at about 6.3% ABV and 60 IBU so I am thinking that it won't be long until this ends up on my single tier! Thanks skeezerpleezer for the recipe and all the posts!!

Back