Looking for one of P-J's designs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broham1

Reaction score
I've seen lots of references to this diagram for single PID, single element:
image-710611361.jpg

But i'd like to add a flashing buzzer attached to the PID alarm and simple switch to turn off the buzzer, like in this photo:
image-130300133.jpg

Can someone find this diagram? I also need a part number for the switch.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help and inspiration!

Micah

You requested a simple Alarm Disable switch. The one shown in the diagram (switch #4) is a $6 unit from Auber Instruments. You can get the switch you want at Ace Hardware or most any hardware store. With that said - either one of the switches listed below can be substituted for switch #4 in the following diagram:
Lowes.com SPST switch
HomeDepot.com SPST switch

And then the diagram that I set up for you:
- As usual click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

I hope this is of some help to you.

P-J

P-J said:
You requested a simple Alarm Disable switch. The one shown in the diagram (switch #4) is a $6 unit from Auber Instruments. You can get the switch you want at Ace Hardware or most any hardware store. With that said - either one of the switches listed below can be substituted for switch #4 in the following diagram:
Lowes.com SPST switch
HomeDepot.com SPST switch

And then the diagram that I set up for you:
- As usual click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d12A.jpg

P-J

P-J,

You've done it again! Thank you! I'm looking to start building this over the next few months, so more questions may come later.

But, for now, thank you so much for everything you do!

Micah

P-J,

I have been stalking your builds for awhile and please let me take a moment to say thanks for all the time you have sunken into helping various members on the HBT forum, if only everyone were so helpful...

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the above diagram but have a simple question. I am no electrician but I do know that I don't want my new rig to kill me. Is it possible to get appropriate protection from an inline GFCI cord?

The reason I ask is I will be moving a lot over the next few years (I am a surgeon in training) and can't always count on the apartment having a GFCI protected outlet for the dryer. So I was hoping to build in protection to my rig.

Also is there any harm in having an inline GFCI if the outlet is already GFCI protected? In that scenario which would pop if I hit the e-stop?

Thanks for your help and I hope my non-electrician questions are not too plebeian.

Andrew

Is it possible to get appropriate protection from an inline GFCI cord?

The reason I ask is I will be moving a lot over the next few years (I am a surgeon in training) and can't always count on the apartment having a GFCI protected outlet for the dryer. So I was hoping to build in protection to my rig.

Also is there any harm in having an inline GFCI if the outlet is already GFCI protected? In that scenario which would pop if I hit the e-stop?
Andrew,

Something to keep in mind. Most all of the GFCI in line power cords are rated for equipment protection and not for the protection of you. With that said, be very careful in you planning. This is the base reason for the choice of a GFCI Spa Panel. You can set it up as a plug in device so that your brew rig and you are protected.

Another note: I do not think you will ever see a GFCI protected dryer outlet.

I hope this makes sense.

P-J

P-J said:
Andrew,

Something to keep in mind. Most all of the GFCI in line power cords are rated for equipment protection and not for the protection of you. With that said, be very careful in you planning. This is the base reason for the choice of a GFCI Spa Panel. You can set it up as a plug in device so that your brew rig and you are protected.

Another note: I do not think you will ever see a GFCI protected dryer outlet.

I hope this makes sense.

P-J

Ok I didn't understand that before thanks P-J. Would you recommend that I set this up so the spa box is at a distance from my brew rig? Or is there a as to make sure this is totally water proof?

My ideal would be to fix this to the underside of my rig. So that it would look tidy. But if I have to haul the box away from the rig to be safe I could do that too.

Ok I didn't understand that before thanks P-J. Would you recommend that I set this up so the spa box is at a distance from my brew rig? Or is there a as to make sure this is totally water proof?

My ideal would be to fix this to the underside of my rig. So that it would look tidy. But if I have to haul the box away from the rig to be safe I could do that too.
The Spa Panel is a water proof enclosure. As long as you make your connections to it and from it reasonably water proof (connect from the underside) there would be no problem mounting it as you describe.

P-J,

Thanks for all your help already!

I was wondering if you would have the time to make a few adjustments to the above diagram.

1) I was hoping to add one of the Auberins timers (such as: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=290) and connect it to the same alarm buzzer as the PID so I can set my mash times and have it go off at the end. Some setups have a separate switch to pause the timer but as I understand it the ones at Auberins can reset and pause from with in the timer unit. Is this your understanding?

2) It would be nice to have two separate switches to turn off the alarm signal coming from the timer and PID.

3) Also I was hoping you could adjust the diagram to make the element and pump power have both switches and indicators rather than the combined illuminated switch. My project box is rather large and I think it would look nicer to have both.

Your help is immensely valuable.

Thanks again,
Andrew

There should be a P-J collective "sticky" with all of his amazing diagrams!

Would vote P-J into the HBT Hall-of-Fame for sure!

jammin said:
There should be a P-J collective "sticky" with all of his amazing diagrams!

Would vote P-J into the HBT Hall-of-Fame for sure!

+1

I wish I had a skill set that could add to the HBT community as much as P-J and others. Unfortunately (or fortunately) homebrewing rarely requires a surgeon on hand.

1) I was hoping to add one of the Auberins timers (such as: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=290) and connect it to the same alarm buzzer as the PID so I can set my mash times and have it go off at the end. Some setups have a separate switch to pause the timer but as I understand it the ones at Auberins can reset and pause from with in the timer unit. Is this your understanding?

2) It would be nice to have two separate switches to turn off the alarm signal coming from the timer and PID.

3) Also I was hoping you could adjust the diagram to make the element and pump power have both switches and indicators rather than the combined illuminated switch. My project box is rather large and I think it would look nicer to have both.
Andrew,

Here is a diagram that I just finished for you. I hope it fits your needs.

As always - click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Hope this helps.

P-J

Andrew,

Here is a diagram that I just finished for you. I hope it fits your needs.

As always - click on the image to see (and save) a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Hope this helps.

P-J

Wow,

You have done it again. Thanks so much. No I just need to get SWMBO to give the go ahead. I am looking at $500+ for this upgrade...not insignificant.

Thanks again P-J I really appreciate your help!
Andrew

One quick question P-J. Why are the separate buttons for pause and reset necessary when these timers all have buttons on the front panel with that function?

Also if I wanted to add a key turn master power switch would this be the correct way to do it.

E-BIAB Build (key power).jpg

One quick question P-J. Why are the separate buttons for pause and reset necessary when these timers all have buttons on the front panel with that function?

Also if I wanted to add a key turn master power switch would this be the correct way to do it.
The pause/reset buttons are not really necessary. You don't want them? Don't include them. I illustrated them as a guide for you and others that might want to use the diagram.

Your key switch setup is ok. No problem.

Hello P-J,
I'm attempting to attach a PDF of my control panel idea that may better explain to you what I'm trying to do and what I'm looking for in a diagram. You cannot see the E-Stop in the picture, but I plan to have one. The littel red dots are the toggle switches for Alarm on/off. Thanks again. Your Awsome!

View attachment Control Panel.pdf

P-J said:

P-J

So, I'm placing the order with Auber today (yikes!) and for the buzzer, I have the choice of 120 or 240. Looking at the diagram, do I see it receiving 120V?

So, I'm placing the order with Auber today (yikes!) and for the buzzer, I have the choice of 120 or 240. Looking at the diagram, do I see it receiving 120V?

don't want to step on p-j's toes... but this appears to be on the 120 circuit.

P-J said:
Yes - Neutral (yellow) on one side and Line-1 (black) on the other. That's 120V.

That's what I thought. Thanks. Can't believe I'm actually placing the order! Exciting! (I'm such a nerd)

Back