Using outdoor burner in enclosed porch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfSudz

Reaction score
I am just getting into homebrewing, but I am trying to learn what I need to learn from a basic setup and then move on to more advanced equipment.

I want to get an outdoor burner at some point, but I live in an apartment. I do have a porch with screen windows that is maybe 6-7 feet wide by roughly 15 feet long, with a roof at standard ceiling height.

Is using an outdoor burner in such a situation viable, or am i simply asking for a burned down building and hundreds of thousands of dollars of liability?

I doubt your landlord would allow something like that. You would be best to check with them as if they dont allow that you could end up getting in trouble.

I'm not so concerned, or rather not concerned at all, about what the landlord thinks.

I just want to make sure if I do that that it will be safe.

Think beer drinking for 5 plus hours (typical brew day) plus open propane flames on your enclosed porch and think of the worst possible outcome. Make your decision from there. And if you think you wont be drinking beer while brew day, just give it some time....once you feel comfortable with your process then you will most likely be drinking while brewing.

...and it's not even what the landlord thinks or says, it's more to do with the fire marshal if I remember correctly.

Take your burner downstairs to a BBQ area and chill there for the boil/cooking.

Without a photo I may be jumping the gun here, but I would be more worried about C0 poisoning.
You're not frying a turkey here, so uncontrollable fire isn't my first concern.

In any case I'm with Hackwood, take it outside if you can.

If I can cook in the house with all 5 burners on the top of the range burning at the same time plus the oven, then I can brew with a turkey fryer in my porch. But that's ME.

You're not me, so...

Use common sense and think in safety terms and you things will be just fine.

Your mileage may very.

As an example: the safety instructions on my burner advise 8-10 feet of clearance on all sides, which you don't have with the dimensions you noted. I would say use it at your own risk. That said, provided you do everything correctly and don't manage to kick over the burner while its lit - you will probably be ok.

A lot of people just brew in their kitchen, however. If you are just getting started you can most likely do extract kits in your kitchen with a partial (2-3 gallon) boil right on your stovetop. Unless you want to do full boils, or get into all-grain right off the bat, you likely don't need the heating power of the outdoor burner.

I would personally do it, your not cooking anything that is overly flammable or dripping grease. I would probably get a metal pan to set the burner in while cooking to catch the inevitable boil-over that will happen while getting used to the setup, plus it adds a layer of heat shield security. That is what i would do, but I'm a brewaholic.

Just do it, I brew with a 3 burner single tier on my porch about the same size as yours. All windows are also screens. I am using natural gas though. I have been doing it for years. No issue with anything. If you are doing a single burner get a full sheet tray, used in restaurants for boil over. "safety" guidelines are there because a lawyer created them for liability. I would brew on your porch as long as it is always supervised. I know others will tell me Im wrong and you are but your point about having your oven on is ok but a single low pressure burner is the biggest no-no is well understood by me and others. I have had natural gas stove inside with no exhaust fan. And a LP oven with the same situation. I would suggest getting a long LP hose and put it as far Away as you can. My new setup is back to low pressure LP and I'm indoors but the tank is outside.

Back