Removing the ball valve (really dumb question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeverTime

Reaction score
(Possibly the dumbest questions ever posted on this forum.)

I just bought a Penrose Kettle. I put the connector on, and then the valve, to check for leaks. No leaks, but now I cannot unscrew the connector. The valve came off, but the connector seems stuck. Is there a tool or trick I should be using to get it off?

Do you mean the nipple? If it's a close nipple you will have to use a npt nut and tighten it against the valve then you can unscrew the valve and nipple together. Or you can mangle it with pliers to get it out. If you want to be able to remove it easier get a hex nipple so you can unscrew it.

Do you mean the nipple?

I don't know the term for this. So, the pot has a port (?) welded to it. There is a thing you screw into that, which is just a cylinder with threads on it. Then you screw the valve onto that cylinder. The cylinder is the part I cannot remove. Is that the nipple?

If it doesn't leak why take it off? :)

Cant believe you have never seen a nipple before :D Ppoor humor i know, what can I say... been drinking and brewing

Probably not a bad Idea. Personally I just some boiling water through it for a few minutes and call it good. The ball valve being at the bottom of of your brew kettle should get plenty hot enough to kill things off anyway. Someone please correct me if I am way off base on this. :)

eastoak said:
i don't know what can be a better cleaning agent than boiling for an hr.

This. If you are REALLY concerned, you can open the valve during the boil and drain some into a small pot, then pour it back in the kettle. If you are using a propane burner its likely not needed as your pot, and valve, are heat sanitized anyway.

Back