Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
536 and 537. Don't know how I did the most recent one, just relaized that there was water in it when I was checking the gravity on my last batch. On the bright side, that means the efficiency on that batch was better than I thought it was!

3rd one here as well, but over 2 years time.

New one has nice colors on it though, and Brix and alchohol too!

Ditto on still using the first hydrometer ever bought. Its been with me for 10+ years now, and that includes brewing in the college days!

Broke mine today *just* before measuring my caramel quad (and I really wanted to know since this was my first AG 'big beer')...saved a bit and have it chilling in the fridge...hopefully will be able to get a new one first thing tomorrow and get a fairly accurate measurement. I just might buy two to have one for an extra!

I have had 3 break in the past 4 months I broke one, brewing buddy broke mine, then wife broke one last week.

I test them in my water before every batch, Ive broken 2 and 2 went bad. That means Ive gone through 4 in two years... They go bad too easy, If you shake it too hard the paper inside will shift. Even an 1/8" will throw off your readings

544! Smashed him in the sink like a moron. Ah, he was a good soldier. At least he didn't take out any beer with him...

547 and 548. Sonuva bish. One rolled off my bench so i went in the house to grab spare nimber 3 (the first one was spare 2 which was the replacement for spare 1....i buy in bulk.) Stuck it in my pocket, went back to the shop/ brewery.....sat down. RIP.

Once i finish off my last 2 im buying a refractometer.

549, 550, and 551; but I did that over 18 years. Never dropped one, always bumped it against something. Two glass thermometers too...

FML. 552.

SWMBO had a psychotic breakdown and tossed all my gear. Broken hydrometer and a $200 lab-grade 'bio-reactor'. She also tossed my brand new refractometer but it survived. Le sigh.....

Broke my first one on a brew night...had a friend who brews swing by and bring his so I could get my numbers...broke his too in the same night. :drunk: The very next brew day I broke my replacement. I've since changed my processes to allow for clumsiness

So that's three hydrometers, and two thermometers. Yep, pretty bad.

About two weeks ago had mine roll off my counter on to my pull out cutting board so like a two inch drop. It blow the end out an bb's went every where. The ends are so thin. 558

Don't stir the bubbles in the test cylinder with it. 565

Also have broken two thermometers.

166...first brew ever got to use it once, it rolled off the counter right after I took the OG

I've broken 3 in 6 batches... they make them way too fragile and the refractometers don't do well for fg from what i understand.

568. Broke my second one Sunday. Rolled off my counter. Luckily it was in the holder still.

569, I broke my first one last year and never replaced it. I am now doing AG and decided to never break another. I got the refractometer BobbyM sells. So count me out of breaking another

570, broke my spare while cleaning up and washing gear.
Incidentally ended up replacing it earlier that day with a craigslist score. Providence?

Latest posts

Back