Label based on 1890's brewery advertisement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
This label is based very heavily on an advertisement for the Besley's Waukegan Brewing Co. from 1890. The ad is pictured in Daniels's Designing Great Beers. I may make some more changes before I actually use it, but I'm pretty happy with it right now. I did the majority of it in Inkscape, and the picture of the bottle was edited in the Gimp before I converted it to a vector graphic. The mix of way too many fonts is intentional, as the original ad also used many mismatched typefaces.

Image is clickable for a larger version.

I like it. Love the old school look.

I've actually been messing with something kind of similar--but more like the Goose Island labels that have the writing on the parchment. I was going to put my brewery logo on it and then pertinent info about the beer, but kind of keep it old school.

Nice. almost makes me want to make labels instead of scratching a number on the cap with a knife / nail / screw / tweezers.

I changed some of the wording and added a "tax stamp" to the edge. I'm also going to use a paper band with an old-style design across the top of the bottle neck and cap (that you have to break to get the cap off) like you see on some whiskey bottles.

New label design image

Wow, I really like that. That's one of the cooler homebrew labels I've seen.

Great work!!

Wow dude, it's gotta be one of my favorite labels I've seen! I like it so much.. I just might steal the look from ya.. I mean, use it as inspiration for my labels... ;)

I stole the idea myself from a 116 year old advertisement so it's not like I own it or anything. Feel free to steal away :mug:

The font for the dates is "1942 report". I got it from dafont.com. There are nine different typefaces used in total (ten if you count the one I used in the Gimp to make the "tax stamp" in this version), although some of them are similar. All of the fonts used came from dafont.com.

rdwj said:
Wow, I really like that. That's one of the cooler homebrew labels I've seen.

Great work!!

That is a really nice label Buford. Alas, I have no artistry in me but can see it.

But I must remind rdwj of the Apricot label posted here a while back? I'd search for it but it's not work safe!

Oh and Buford, that other label I speak of is artistry of a different brand.

Man, that site, dafont.com.... I'm addicted.... I can't seem to stop looking at my name.... It's a sweet site and just looking at the different fonts I've got a million ideas for labels... :rockin:

Latest posts

Back