Hops Plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I was just wondering. Is it too late in the year to get hops rhizomes?

I'd like to give growing them a try. Anybody know of a place that might still have some?

Northern Brewer take orders for hop rhizomes starting in Feb. and were sold out by the end of April. They recomend planting after last hard frost. You might try searching the web but I think you will probably find that all sites sell out early. Good luck.

Yeah freshops.com is out of them too. It's always something you want to start in the Spring. I think they need the entire first growing season to get a good root system going, so I don't know if they'd do so well getting planted this late in the season.

If you know someone who has some going, you can harvest some rhizomes off of them and give it a try.

Anyone know how they would grow in Upstate SC?

We're in zone 7b.

freaking hot here right now. Most people in SC can deal with heat, but this is ridiculous. 96 in the shade, over 100 in the sun with very high humidity.

The humidity would be your problem. You'd want to look for strains that resist powdery mildew and stuff like that.

The commercial hop cultivation is mostly out in eastern Washington, which is a high altitude desert. They love the heat, but not really the humidity.

There are definitely varieties that will do well. Just look for mold/mildew resistance. freshops.com is a great resource.

Cheers :D

Janx said:
The humidity would be your problem. You'd want to look for strains that resist powdery mildew and stuff like that.

The commercial hop cultivation is mostly out in eastern Washington, which is a high altitude desert. They love the heat, but not really the humidity.

There are definitely varieties that will do well. Just look for mold/mildew resistance. freshops.com is a great resource.

Cheers :D

Hmm, I always assumed they were grown closer to the coast. Wonder if there is a strain that can take AZ heat? with water...

I bet they'd like it. Eastern Washington sees 100+ temps a lot.

And AZ is certainly dry enough. I can't say for sure, but it's worth a try for sure. I bet with water they'd be good. Worth a try.

Back