Austinhomebrew.com Flat Tire 1% alcohol increase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
I see that listed on AHB.com's recipe for Flat Tire that there is an upgrade option for increase the ABV by 1% for an additional $.99 or something. Can anyone tell me if this is possible and what exactly is going on here. Also why are they charging $5 for wyeast products?

Thanks

Ian

gonzoflick said:
I see that listed on AHB.com's recipe for Flat Tire that there is an upgrade option for increase the ABV by 1% for an additional $.99 or something. Can anyone tell me if this is possible and what exactly is going on here.
They probably just throw in another bag of extract. More sugar = more alcohol.

gonzoflick said:
Also why are they charging $5 for wyeast products?
That's a fair price.

gonzoflick said:
I see that listed on AHB.com's recipe for Flat Tire that there is an upgrade option for increase the ABV by 1% for an additional $.99 or something. Can anyone tell me if this is possible and what exactly is going on here. Also why are they charging $5 for wyeast products?

Thanks

Ian

They have free shipping, which is excellent for me since I get it next day since I'm close.

However, I probably wouldn't buy yeast from them if I were you. It'll probably take 4-5 days for it to reach you in temperatures approaching 100 degrees.

Their extract kits just have LME, so the 1% increase is probably just more LME like stated above.

gonzoflick said:
Also why are they charging $5 for wyeast products?

I would assume that that is the upgrade charge from dry yeast to Wyeast, which is liquid(better IMHO).

Spyk'd said:
I would assume that that is the upgrade charge from dry yeast to Wyeast, which is liquid(better IMHO).

Actually, that's the cost of the yeast period. They price their kits w/o yeast. Dry yeast is usually little under $2.

A 1% ABV boost is about 38 points of fermentables. About the only way I can think of that won't change the recipe in any other way would be 14 oz of corn sugar. The price is right.

$5 is a normal price for liquid yeasts, but as Fatabbot mentions, it's hot between you and TX. Add in a cold pack or two for a couple bucks and it might get to you live. Might. If you can't get liquid yeast locally, stick with dried until it cools down.

I am sensing you guys aren't really happy with Austin Homebrew. I have ordered from them a few times and have been happy with all of their recipe kits. The selection is the best on the internet.

Do any of you disagree?

mayday1019 said:
I am sensing you guys aren't really happy with Austin Homebrew.

What? No one said anything negative about them in this thread. We just warned him against ordering liquid yeast during the hot months since it might be risky.

you're right, just a feeling I had, thats all. Plus if you guys did have bad experiences or know of better places to buy your kits, I would like to know.

mayday1019 said:
you're right, just a feeling I had, thats all. Plus if you guys did have bad experiences or know of better places to buy your kits, I would like to know.

I'm a big fan of austinhomebrew. However, another good vendor is northernbrewer.com.

Fatabbot said:
I'm a big fan of austinhomebrew. However, another good vendor is northernbrewer.com.

I'm a big fan of AHB as well. They did make a couple mistakes on my last order, but they made it right ASAP which is all you can ask.

I'm probably a bit biased, but AHS has always done me well. I do think that you're playing with fire though if you don't get an ice pack for the yeast, it's been cooler than average here (85-93), but that could change within a day.

Great. I never even thought of the temperatures. I just bought some ingredients over the internet, including Wyeast 1056, and it sat in a Fedex warehouse over the weekend. Is there a way I can tell if its still good so I don't have to go to my LHBS and buy more?

Lou said:
make a starter.
Before you ask:

2 parts water, 1 part malt extract.
Boil 15 minutes.
Cool to about 75°F.
Put into a sanitized jug/bottle of some sort.
Shake like hell to aerate.
Pitch yeast.
Install airlock on said jug/bottle or cover with foil.
Shake like hell every now and then.

If it starts to ferment and form a cake of yeast on the bottom, you are good. Now you can make your beer and just dump the whole starter into it to ge things rolling.

-walker

they are just adding more fermentables. it is pre measured for a 5 gal batch. the more fermentables the more alcohol in the end. Ive used it and it seems to work for me.

I got some ingredients AND yeast from AHB a couple weeks ago- it is in the secondary now. First time getting stuff online, as I have a local HBS, but the yeast came on ice, and was fine. Now, it is a lot hotter out there now than it was a couple weeks ago, but I was happy with their shipping prep and consideration.

Back