Manifold Vs. Bazooka Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manifold VS. Bazooka

• Copper Manifold All The Way.

• Bazooka Tubes ROCK

• I don't like the way Bazooka stick in my braces!

Results are only viewable after voting.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready for an end of summer A.G. Conversion, and I'm wondering who thinks what?
I can surely build a copper Manifold for my cooler conversion, but I keep looking at that little $17 Bazooka tube and thinking....That's pretty easy!

So, Which do you prefer, and if you don't mind...WHY?

I've not used a bazooka tube, but I definitely prefer my drilled copper manifold to the stainless braid I was originally using. I kept crushing the braid with my mash paddle and it didn't allow me to switch back and forth between batch and fly sparging.

I used a bazooka tube in my MLT and I have no problems at all. I can't compare it to anything else, because I've never used a regular braid. One benefit of the bazooka is that it is a heavier material and is not going to be affected by the weight of the grain above.

Disadvantage: Depending on the cooler it's going to be long and you'll have to cut/crimp it. Not hard to do, but cutting something I paid 17 bucks for bugged me.

I use a pvc manifold, very cheap, very efficient, very easy to clean. Never had a stuck sparge. Need I say more?

I have the Flyguy conversion, 10 gallon rubbermaid, with the bazooka tube rather than the braid. I am REALLY happy with it. Never had a stuck sparge, and generally run off about 1 quart of vorlauf per sparge before it's wide open into the pot. I have done 50%+ wheat recipes with no issues(although I did add rice hulls) as well.

It's also pretty sturdy so you don't have to worry about bending it if you whack it with your paddle. I've done grain bills up to 15 lbs or so with this setup. I guess the 9-9-9 will be the ultimate test.

but - I digress. Really dig the bazooka.

I just switched from a braid to a bazooka tube in my MLT...1 batch so far but it was an improvement in draining/operation. I was on my second braid.

I've only used bazooka tubes, both for the mash tun & kettle. They work fine, so I haven't tried anything else for comparison. I have a well-developed sense of 'good enough'.

I snaked a perforated piece of plastic tubing through my circular braid to give it some rigidity, and no longer have to worry about crushing it. I've never had a stuck sparge (or even a hint of one) and the wort flows as fast & freely as the ball valve will allow. I only have to recirculate a few pints before the runnings are particle free.

It's essentially a manifold within a braid...crush-proof like a manifold, with the better filtering of a braid. Since no large particles of grain or husk get inside, a good rinsing is all the cleaning it requires.

Unfortunately, cost involved, I'll be using a rectangle cooler from wally world for my mash tun, so a false bottom is out of the question.
For the manifold users....Drilled or slotted? I can see benefits to both.

Thanks so much for the help on this.

I drilled mine and just experienced my first ever stuck sparge. The manifold wasn't the problem though, I used my new monster mill for the first time ever on this batch and obviously had it set a little bit too fine ('crush until you're scared' should be a gradual process, not an all-in-one obviously :D). I've never had a problem with my corona-style mill and always got great efficiency and no stuck sparges even with 70/30 wheat beers.

Copper all the way.

Keep the cuts on the down side though.

I use rice hulls in all my batches so stuck sparges are a thing of fiction in my brewery.
Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

I use a bazooka tube and the only problem I had was I bent it a little while stirring up grain. Other than that it works perfect.

I have both a CPVC slotted manifold and a SS braid. The manifold works a bit better as it's angled for a lower siphon profile. Other than that, never a stuck sparge, never a problem with either one.

I use a SS braid with a SS spring inside to help hold it open... works great for me. The first braid I had crushed but later I found out it was plastic that looks like SS. Had to go to Lowes for the real deal.

One benefit of the bazooka is that it is a heavier material and is not going to be affected by the weight of the grain above.

I take that back, as I found out yesterday that it is totally possible to bend and crush a bazooka tube. Not sure how I did this. Eventually I'll probably switch to a false bottom, but I am going to strenthen this with a drilled copper piece for next time.

057.jpg

Back