Carbing a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Beer Buster
Reaction score
When you initially fill it and go to pressurize it do you set it and leave the keg hooked up for the whole time or pressurize it and disonnect after gas is no longer going in?

Hook it up, swirl like crazy for several minutes, and then leave it hooked up. As the CO2 goes into solution you want to keep the pressure constant. After 36-48 hours you will probably be at saturation for the pressure you have selected and then you can disconnect and store/chill/age. I do this and it works for me; I do reconnect after a few weeks to make sure I haven't lost any pressure due to leaks.

You can also pressurize it and just leave it alone for 5 days to a week no shaking required. Be sure and check for gas leaks before leaving the tank hooked up.

I hook up, and leave it for 2 weeks. no shaking. no stirring. gives the beer 2 weeks to condition as it becomes force carbed.

Back