What's a fair price on a chest freezer kegerator conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
Local guy selling one with Johnson controller, one 5gal corny, one CO2 tank (size unknown), regulator, gauges, raised wood thing, one tap, and everything currently being used and working fine.

What would be a fair price with and without the keg - he's thinking about keeping the keg.

How big is the freezer? The size of the CO2 tank is pretty important, too. Figure $50 each for the thermostat and regulator, then base the rest on the size of the freezer and tank. Look on craigslist and ebay for similar items to get an idea of price for them.

Chest freezer, two CO2 tanks (they're probably 5lbs each, but maybe 10), one keg, Johnson controller, and all the extras and such for a complete system and it's already built and running. He also wants to throw in the cleaning kit and some line cleaner and PBW he has. I'm going to look at it in the morning, and it of course has room to grow in terms of kegs and taps/shanks.

$250 he said. Fair? Should I talk him down?

NitrouStang96 said:
Chest freezer, two CO2 tanks (they're probably 5lbs each, but maybe 10), one keg, Johnson controller, and all the extras and such for a complete system and it's already built and running. He also wants to throw in the cleaning kit and some line cleaner and PBW he has. I'm going to look at it in the morning, and it of course has room to grow in terms of kegs and taps/shanks.

$250 he said. Fair? Should I talk him down?

IMHO, I think it is a very fair deal depending on the condition of the freezer and tanks. If they are in decent and working condition, go for it. I can't find a good size freezer on craigslist for less than $100, the co2 tanks (either 5lb to 10lb) will cost from $50 to 100 plus, also a $20-30 keg. And the Johnson controller is another $50-75 dollars. Most importantly it is all done for you and ready to use.

I'd take that deal. Already set up and working is worth quite a bit depending how handy you are and if that stuff Is considered fun or a burden for you

I think I could talk him to $150 or maybe even a trade on some stuff I have and am not using, but I wasn't really impressed with it.

The top gauge on the regulator was working, the gauge that's down and to the left is busted. The freezer itself has some dents and rusted scratches and a nasty piece of pressed chipped wood as the top with a not so elegant tower on the top. This needs to either fit under my counter top or look nice so it can be out in the open in my dining room, and it does neither.

I'm thinking I'm just going to offer him a trade for some stuff I have for his controller + pepsi keg + two 5lb tanks + regulator with one busted gauge + tower + all the lines... I guess everything but the freezer.

Back