keep getting clogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
hello- I have been having a constant problem of getting clogs in my/kettle/lines/plate chiller after cooling all the brew by running it through the chiller with a hose and the with a sump in a garbage can full of ice water. im getting pissed because yesterday the brew went perfect then this happened. I am getting the clogs when i am taking the final pass through the chiller and into my carboy-a pump is used. any cheap suggestions-also there is a lot of trub getting into the fermenter, I made an alt this time so I am not really concerned but the next brew is a pils. I NEED TO REMEDY THIS!!!!!! thanks:mug: I am using a hop spider and pellet hops.

[edit] If you 're using a spider HOW are you clogging the chiller?????? It simply doesn't make any sense to me, unless the nylon mesh you're using is far too open.

StainlessBrewing is making a 100% stainless spider with a stainless mesh basket to contain the hop matter (during the boil). If you can wait, you could just get one of those when they're available.

BTW, don't worry about trub getting into the fermenter/primary. It won't do the brew any harm, and can actually go some good. Things like the hot and cold breaks both do the brew good while fermenting.

i am using the hop spider with a paint strainer for the hops-nylon. i believe that the clog is in the ball valve usually but it could be anywhere. maybe time for a counterflow

i am using the hop spider with a paint strainer for the hops-nylon. i believe that the clog is in the ball valve usually but it could be anywhere. maybe time for a counterflow
You're recirculating the cooled wort, yes? Perhaps it is cold break (and perhaps hot break) that is plugging the chiller plate? My setup is similar to yours with one exception: I only gravity feed my hot wort through the chiller plate once. The one-pass, cooled wort then goes directly into the primary bucket. I also use a hop spider and pellet hops only. I whirlpool and use a side pickup in the kettle, being careful not to pick up hot break from the kettle. I've never had a plug, or even a slow down in flow.

Not that you'd want to do this, but as a one-time troubleshooting exercise, run your hot wort through the chiller just once (lower flow, perhaps) and see what happens. If it doesn't plug, perhaps it's cold break. If it does, it's something else.

Good news is that there are a lot of people on here with your (recirculating) setup. Someone will likely have a good idea what to try. Don't give up on the chiller yet!

Before you go to a different chiller type you need to locate and eliminate the clog. If it is at the valve then changing to a CFC won't do you any good. Hot and cold break material wont plug up a plate chiller. How low does the hop spider bag go into the kettle? Try lifting it up a few inches so that it won't be too close to the diptube. Which pump are you using? I upgraded my March 809 with the impeller from the 815 a while ago. I needed to put a ball valve on the out port in order to better regulate it while the wort was still boiling (eliminate bubbles in the head from messing it up). I get really good flow though.

IF you do have a lot of trub in the kettle that's the cause then you need to work on that.

BTW, what plate chiller are you using??

No I didn't think that. I like everything the rebel has sent me. I guess I am concerned now that one pass might not cool to lager temps even with ice water.

Also not really sure how to remove trub except the spider. Any suggestions besided whirlpool?

Also clogs are happening toward the end of the runoff. About gallon 10. I use a 20 gallon kettle

I am just using the weldless fitting inside the kettle right now. I think I forgot the elbows. Also am I hearing that people recirculate and then wait until moving to fermenters?

Back