Finally brewed again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
Finally got a brew in. It has been 8 months or more since I've had time to brew. We are thinking of moving so I needed to get in a brew before we pack up the brewery as well as a lot of other stuff to unclutter the house some and make it more appealing.

Original Recipe (5 gallon batch)
8 lb Canadian 2 row
2.75 lb Flaked Oats
.5lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Roasted Barley
.5lb Crystal 40
1 lb Lactose (last 10 min of boil)

.5 oz Pacific Gem or other high alpha acid hop (14% AA for original recipe) 60 min

I thought I had all the ingredients for my oatmeal stout, but was out of some so had to make subs. I made a (hopefully) creamy stout instead. I usually use 2.75lb of oatmeal in my stout. I only had .75 on hand so I used that, plus 2.5lb of flaked barley.

Made a new recipe based off the old
8 lb Canadian 2 row
.75lb flaked oats
2.5lb flaked barley
.5lb Pale Chocolate Malt
.6lb Roasted Barley (to make up for pale choc, instead of choc)
.5 lb crystal 60
.25 lb carapils (had it laying around)
1 lb lactose (10 min from end of boil)
.7 oz Magnum (10% AA after adjustment for age) 60 min

Mashed at 155 for 60 min
60 minute boil
CFC to carboy (about 70 degrees)
S-05 yeast (all I have on hand, would have preferred Irish Stout or S-04)
Into fermentation freezer set to keep beer at 67degrees

Will bottle condition, as kegorator might be at the new house, and I still have infection issues in the kegs.

Lets hope it turns out nice!

Welcome back! I just returned with stout as well after nine months. Bottling this week I think.

Anyone have thoughts on my modified recipe? I've not used flaked barley before but it is supposed to also give a creamy mouthfeel like oatmeal.

Anyone have thoughts on my modified recipe? I've not used flaked barley before but it is supposed to also give a creamy mouthfeel like oatmeal.

I've never used it in any quantity, so I have no idea. But I like 8 ounces of it in my oatmeal stout.

Where are you considering moving to? A new town, or just a new house?

Just moving to a new house. My wife's job is in jeopardy (public school teacher) and mine as well. So I'd like to be in something cheaper. We're moving only about 10 miles north. I'd bought the house last year in forclosure and was fixing it up to be a rental, but with the new developments we're going to move in to it instead and try and sell our house. Our mortgage payments will be more than cut in half. I'll finish fixing it up and find something else to remodel and turn into a rental.

So we'll see how the recipe turns out :) At least I'll have something to drink for a while.

I need to add in a 30 amp outlet in the new house so I can continue to brew, but it might include upgrading the whole panel (currently pushmatic...)

Back