Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dataz722 said:
DO IT!!!!! caps

But I already have my Char Griller that I have modded up into a purpose built smoker and I am running out of room. I guess I could build the UDS and unmod the CG back into a dual purpose grill/smoker.

image-2924041629.jpg

We are doing a 20 pound beef roast on Sunday for a 4th party. We usually do do 40-60 pounders but we scaled back the party this year because it's so much work. We have a 55 gallon drum with a side smoke box and it has a custom made stainless rotisserie. We use a mix of cowboy charcoal and apple wood logs and also some mesquite chips. It takes most of the day to cook it thru so we start trimming and eating and then wait for it to cook some more. We usually rub it with seasalt, pepper and garlic the day before we cook it. We have been doing beef like this at least once a year for the last 25 years and it's fantastic. Happy 4th to everyone.

I love the pics. Looks like you travel with only the essentials: kettles, brew rig, sweet a$$ smoker and a few tools. You rock!

Edit - this is intended for dfess...not to confuse.

rack o ribs hit the smoker at 7pm, only 4 hours left. Lots of time to drink some brews. I love long weekends! Happy Independence Day to you all!!!

Ribs is the only thing I'm smokin' this weekend. But steaks, bugers, and brats (among other animal parts) will be sure to find their way to the grill.

Four of my neighbors and myself are beer lovin', smokin', meat eaters. There 5 backyard BBQ's between us this weekend including an all-dayer on the 4th.

I'm gonna have such a meat hangover come the 5th. Oh, I can't wait. Time for another brat and a beer.

going to throw in a couple slabs of spare ribs tomorrow. haven't had ribs in a while.

I love the pics. Looks like you travel with only the essentials: kettles, brew rig, sweet a$$ smoker and a few tools. You rock!

Edit - this is intended for dfess...not to confuse.

thanks! Smoked up some butts today for the neighbors at my folks place. Kind of a "thank your for not being pissed while we were grinding away at midnight for 3 weeks". Currently finishing off pig candy as part of the thank you.

Monday will see two briskets, a butt, 3 bacon explosions, 45 ABT's, 20 or so Moink balls, and a bunch of pig candy! I'll remember (hopefully) to take pics of that cook!!

I have had two 9 lb pork butts on the drum since 1am, and I just made this bad boy:

(2 lbs italian sausage stuffed with provolone, sauteed peppers & onions, wrapped with bacon)

Im about to throw it on to be ready for the party tonight.

fatty.JPG

I have had two 9 lb pork butts on the drum since 1am, and I just made this bad boy:

(2 lbs italian sausage stuffed with provolone, sauteed peppers & onions, wrapped with bacon)

Im about to throw it on to be ready for the party tonight.

Dude that is AWESOME I will definatly be doing one of these soon, do you do it indirect at about 350 with a serious drip pan under lol:mug:

Did some country style ribs last night for dinner and in about 4 hours I'll throw 13 lbs of brisket for a BBQ tomorrow.

On a side note. Last weekend I killed my thermometer when I left it in a pork butt in the smokers on the bottom rack... Oops. So today I ordered myself a thermapen. I figure between brewing and smoking it's worth it.

I'll be smoking 16 lbs of pork butt tomorrow for dinner, and 2 lbs. of salmon for an appetizer. Washing it down with a American Wheat and a Rye IPA, folks should go home happy.

I am about to embark on the great Independence Day tradition of cooking entirely too much meat and drinking just as much beer. 1 fourteen pound brisket, a rack of pork spare ribs and a rack of pork loin back ribs. Muhahahahaha.

Smoking a rack of baby back ribs with Salt Lick dry rub, and brewing my first all-grain (oatmeal stout) tomorrow. Gonna be a great 4th....

Just got a Weber Smokey Mountain this past week and finally had a chance to crank it up.

Smoked a pork butt yesterday, and planning to do some atomic buffalo turds tomorrow. I cannot WAIT to eat those things. Last time I made them was in the oven with a bit of liquid smoke and they were fantastic.

My Chicken and Ribs Turned out Great as usual and got it all packed up for the Let Freedom Rock Fest in Camden NJ today On the menu Grilled Chicken, Smoked Ribs both with my Dry Rub and Home made BBQ Sauce, Tater salad, white wine berry spritzers and lots of cold beer :tank:

20110704_9.jpg

20110704_5.jpg

I have two 5 lb briskets going right now, been chugging away since 3:30 this morning. At 11 will see 12 racks of Baby Backs going on. Around 12:30 will see 2 fatties going on, as well as a butt we did on saturday (to reheat). Around 1 will see 60 or so ABT's. Once everything comes off, we'll be throwing on 12 lbs worth of pig candy. Pretty much will be "grazing" all day long.

A couple of racks of baby backs almost done and will be filling the cooler with homebrews and heading to a friends house...

I have a couple slabs of baby back ribs on the smoker, added some brined chickens a few minutes ago, and sausages will go on in a while so everything finishes on time.

Dude that is AWESOME I will definatly be doing one of these soon, do you do it indirect at about 350 with a serious drip pan under lol:mug:

nah, did it on the UDS at 250 for 4 hours. all that bacon grease dripping into the coals gave the smoke some nice additional flavor.

It was the first thing completely gone at the party we went to.

My first brisket is going on the ugly drum in about 6 hours. Rubbed it this morning and I'm just now brewing up a mop. Would you guys recommend using a water pan or will mopping be enough?

I think I would too. First time indecision...the mop is also meant to be a sauce so maybe I'll save it for that.

From what I've read the consensus seems to be fat up, no foil, no flipping and 225 for a long time. Does that sound right? I have a 13 pounder and was leaving an hour 15/pound for smoking with at least an hour rest.

I have mesquite and apple.....preference?

Thanks in advance.

Test cook for butt and brisket this weekend. Tweeking recipes before Battle of the BBQ Brethren contest in August. Going back to FAB B Lite injection for the brisket and FAB P injection for the pork both with a little doctoring.

Back