Smells wierd tastes great.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilson

Reaction score
Me and my friend brewed our first batch of a Dark England Boch at first there was a problem with gushing but after it chilled it was fine. Now it smells really awkward but it has a wonderful after taste it kind of has a bit of an acidity smell, anyone know what’s up?

bacterial infection.
That is why it gushed. Solution, clean your bottles more carefully next time. Look at an unopened bottle of this batch. You will probably see a deposit on the inside around the fill line. Use a bottle brush when you clean the bottles.

As for this batch, well, if it tastes all right, just don't smell it. :drunk:

I've had 2 bacterial infections. gushers and sourness. I wouldn't count on it getting any better---probably worse. But hold on to it and see what happens in a couple months. It may be okay...but if it is indeed a bacterial infection, it probably won't be.

How long was it in the bottle before you tasted it? Are you sure it was fully fermented before you bottled. The gusher could be from still having too much fermentable sugar in the beer at bottling time and the strange smell could be just young beer. If it tastes good I would think it is probably not infected.

I would suggest giving it more time, see how it is in a couple of weeks.

Tilson said:
really it will be alright to drink it? IF SO THAN :mug:

According to Uncle Charlie "Because of beer's acidity and alcohol content, there are no known pathogens thast can survive in beer; therefore, you aren't going to die."

The flavor may or may not go down hill in the long run, but it won't kill you.

Latest posts

Back