what are the effects of getting some trub in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slicksmix

Reaction score
Just curious, because in my transfer last night I got some in my fermenter.

how do you avoid doing this

It won't really do anything. I always get some in my fermenter since I just pour in instead of racking.

The easiest way to avoid is to whirlpool the wort before you transfer to the fermenter. This will make most of the trub settle in a cone in the center of the kettle. Then you just need to rack the wort from one of the sides. You'll avoid most of it that way.

Long debated topic, some say it is bad, others say it does nothing, and again some say it improves the beer, I am of the party that doesn't bother to remove it. I would not be concerned.:mug:

Thanks guys. I usually pour into the primary, and rack into secondary. During my pour I try to get all the goodies possible, so I usually get a little trub in there

I have only recently tried keeping trub in the brew pot, but all of my previous batches where I poured all of the wort into the primary turned out great.

I also pour into the primary, but I'm gonna try washing and saving my yeast soon. how will this affect that process?

If you're going to wash your yeast I would try to leave the trub behind, it'll just make it easier. I used to pour straight into my fermenter and got plenty of trub. I never cared and it never seemed to hurt the beer. Now I rack from the kettle but I still don't really worry about trub too much, I just don't like it taking up valuable beer real estate in my fermenter.

I'm one of those that always throws my trub in. Just seems like goodness for the fermentation...although I have nothing to back it up - just a gut feeling.

Then when racking to a secondary, I put my autosiphon in my nylon grain bag. It does a pretty good job of acting like a filter and keeping the big stuff behind, while not degrading the siphoning.

I plan on getting some more nylon mesh and actually sewing autosiphon "socks" so that i'm not having to use my grain bag.

It really doesn't matter either way.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I don't think it matters too much. I used to just dump it all into the primary but started looking for ways to produce a clearer beer so, I started straining into my primary. As far as the taste of the end product? I don't notice a difference between whether I have trub in the primary or not....

Back