Cream of Three Crops - Mini mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I noticed a lot of calls for an extract version of BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops.

Can't be done - so I thought I'd take a shot at a mini mash version. It will not taste exactly like to original (or maybe not like it at ALL). I have not tried this yet so . . . . suggestions? comments are welcome.

5 gallon recipe

2.1lb DME Ultra light - the lightest you can find.
2.0 lb 2-row
2.5 lbs flaked corn
1lb minute rice

Hops

--------
1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

US-05 Yeast

Heat 2 gallons to 160. Put in 1 cup of the DME to lower PH. Add 2-row, flaked corn and rice last (who knows what that will do to the grain bag).

Your mash temp wants to be 149 to convert the rice get the best results. adding all those grains should lower the temp to 150ish.

take pot off stove and cover with large blanket - OR heat oven to 170 - turn off and place pot in oven. The heat should surround the pot well enough for 60 minutes. Oven is OFF.

Meanwhile - heat 2 quarts (8 cups) of water to 170.

At 60 minutes - take grains out and dunk a couple times - then, still in the bag place them in a strainer or colander and gently pour hot water over grains trying to get as much of the sugar as you can out.

Add 1/2 of the DME and start the 90 minute boil.

You have to go 90 minutes to reduce DMS for this one. It's pretty light.

30 minutes into boil (60 left) add the hops. At 15 minutes add the rest of the DME and I also add Yeast energizer AND Whirlfloc a clearing thingy.

Then is all normal after that. Just add water to make 5.25 gallons.

Will it work?? Who knows!!

Worth a shot.

Pray for me! LOL

I'm doing the same thing this weekend, although my recipe is just a tad different. I'm doing the 90 minute boil too.

Pyrenus - love to hear the differences. Mine is just my opinion and I'm WAY WAY by no means an expert.

I "have to" brew an Amber before this one so it's still a couple weeks out.

Since there is no diastatic power in corn or rice, I'd increase the 2-row for the mash, or else use 6-row.

I'd use twice as much 2-row as corn and rice.

I have no idea how it'll come out, though! I have never used rice, and I've never used either in a PM batch.

I'd lose the cup of DME in the mash water- you don't need it and might make things even sticker. You don't need to increase the SG to do a PM. The 2-row and other grains will be all you need.

As an alternative to upping the 2-row, you could replace the rice with rice extract, and replace some of the corn with corn sugar. That would leave say 1.5 pounds of corn and 2 pounds of 2-row for the minimash which would convert fine.

Good stuff. Yoop - I was adding a cup of DME because AHS suggests it with their Mini mash kits to lower PH in the mash. I did not know if this was needed in a corn/rice/malt mash.

Now I must see the difference in 2-row and 6-row

I have never used rice, and I've never used either in a PM batch.

Welcome to my world!

Saccharomyces - another good idea - except I have the ingredients already (although I'm looking into 6-row)

I took the liberty to convert the grain bill of the recipe to extract. The only thing that is kind of hard to find would be rice syrup solids

3# Extra Pale DME
1.75# Corn Sugar
.75# Rice Syrup Solids

This keeps the proportions almost identical. The final flavor may not be the exact same. The other thing to keep in mind is your efficiency for that method of mini-mash may be a bit lower than expected (I'm guessing the weights were based on a low 70s efficiency), so you may undershoot your gravity a little.

What I worry about (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the rice and corn will not convert to sugar without some base grain. That's why I had to have 2-row (now 6-row but I worry about making a heavier beer).

corn sugar and rice syrup solids are both preconverted into sugar. The flaked grains are not, so if they are used then you will have to have base grain and for something like this I'd use six row. If you have the determination to do a mini-mash, do it, it's a good learning experience and can potentially lead to a better end result. If you want to make it a little easier, replace the flaked corn with 1.75# of corn sugar and just mash the base grain and the rice.

Here's my working recipe:

2# Flaked Maize
1# Flaked Rice
1# Pilsener Germany
1# Soft White Wheat
.5# Munich Malt
.5# Vienna Malt

Mash @ 152 degrees in 2 gallons for 90 minutes
Sparge @ 170 degrees in 2.5 gallons for 10 minutes

Boil ~ 4 gallons
:30 (Start of the hour boil) 1lb extra light DME
:30 .75 oz cascade
:75 2lb extra light DME
:75 1 tsp Irish Moss
:87 .25 oz cascade
:90 Flame out

Pitching with SafAle S-05

I'm thinking about doing the continual hops addition throughout the last hour of boiling.

Back