Thinking about my second GF batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
Well, my first gluten free batch is in primary and it looks like the yeast is starting to settle. So, I'm starting to think about my next batch.

It may be crazy, but I'm thinking about trying a GF Tripel. I've been trying to use some of the online calculators, but I get conflicting results...Here's what I'm thinking for a 5 gallon batch:

6 lbs NB Sorghum extract (37 ppg?)
1 lbs NB Rice Syrup Solids (40 ppg?)
3 lbs Belgian Candi Sugar (46 ppg?)

So, by my rough calculations, I should get an OG of 1.8, and a FG of 1.088.
Various online calcs have told me I'll get 1.075-1.077 OG and FG of 1.012 to 1.015. I guess the part I'm unsure of is the FG contribution of the rice and the candi sugar, I've heard that both are 'virtually 100% fermentable' but the online calculators I've seen don't seem to use that, in fact they seem to calculate all ingredients as being the same % fermentable?

Anyway, any suggestions on rearrangments of the amounts of my fermentables? I'm also trying to figure out what to shoot for on the hops. I've got a big enough pot that I can do a full boil, but would prefer to do something like a 3 or 4 gallon boil.

I've got some WLP500 for the yeast.

As for hops, I'm undecided. I have some Saaz, some Strisselspalt, and some Fuggle, but now that a brew store has opened up in town, I can get others :)rockin:) I'll also use a bit of coriander, maybe a quarter of an ounce, and I'll toss in a few bits of sweet orange peel. I'll also toss in some yeast nutrient, just to make sure those little guys have everything they need to get the job done.

Any tips? Am I making some enormous, noob mistake?

but the online calculators I've seen don't seem to use that, in fact they seem to calculate all ingredients as being the same % fermentable?

That's correct. The candi is close to 100% fermentable, depends on how dark it is. Rice syrup solids can run 10% to 50% unfermentable, but generally are about the same as malt extracts.

That's correct. The candi is close to 100% fermentable, depends on how dark it is. Rice syrup solids can run 10% to 50% unfermentable, but generally are about the same as malt extracts.

Right now, I've got a little over a pound of home-made candi sugar. My goal was to make clear candi sugar, but it ended up being on the very light side of amber. I've actually been debating making another 2 lbs, or just using cane sugar instead. I guess I don't understand what the difference would be in fermentabilty or in final taste. But, it is easy enough to make another 2 lbs of candi sugar, the first time I just didn't realize how much more it would darken in the time it took to bring it up to hard crack.

it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten (or the person you are making it for), but be advised that WLP500 yeast is not 100% gluten free.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/making-gluten-free-beer-need-gf-yeast-72962/

I have read on here that none of the liquid yeasts are GF and could cause problems for celiacs. as compared to those with just an intolerance.
Yeah, there's discussion on that, but the yeast slurry in the package is below the limit to be called gluten free, diluted in 5 gallons of wort it will be way below the limit. So, its about as gluten free as anything else I get that says 'gluten free'.

http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/gluten-free-tripel-blonde/

I made a tripel for my first GF brew. It turned out OK, but is still getting better. You can see mine and Jaimi's tasting notes.

Coriander is an ok idea, I don't think sweet orange peel is...combined with sorghum would be a no no for me. I didn't know about Rice Syrup back then, definitely use it.
Do you think bitter orange peel would be a good idea, or do you just think orange is a bad idea in general?

Right now, I'm basically taking standard recipes and substituting Sorghum and Rice syrup. I figure there are probably adjustments to be made because sorghum and rice don't taste like malt...

I LOVE sweet orange peel with the sorghum. Especially with the more citrusy hops like cascade, amarillo, and summit. I've found the flavors go very well together and eliminate the "tanginess". Everyone's tastes are different though.

I LOVE sweet orange peel with the sorghum. Especially with the more citrusy hops like cascade, amarillo, and summit. I've found the flavors go very well together and eliminate the "tanginess". Everyone's tastes are different though.

Sounds like Noontime loves his citrus fruits! If this also describes you or the person who will be drinking this beer, then go for it. And noontime, IIRC you are the gluten-free person you are brewing for, but maybe try to make some sort of GF Widmer Drifter clone, I think you would really like it. It tastes like an orange.

In fact, I just realized my GF really likes oranges...recipe probably on the way.

it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten (or the person you are making it for), but be advised that WLP500 yeast is not 100% gluten free.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/making-gluten-free-beer-need-gf-yeast-72962/

I have read on here that none of the liquid yeasts are GF and could cause problems for celiacs. as compared to those with just an intolerance.

Can we please just make this topic sticky. Yes, it's important to know that White Labs isn't 100% GF, but it's actually safe for most people, but it's a judgement call. No reason for this to come up in every single thread.

A simple sticky post with what brands are GF, which ones aren't and which ones are borderline. Give people the info and let them make the decision.

Not bashing you midfielder5, just pointing out it's kind of silly that we have to keep talking about this topic because it falls down the list over time.

Can we please just make this topic sticky. Yes, it's important to know that White Labs isn't 100% GF, but it's actually safe for most people, but it's a judgement call. No reason for this to come up in every single thread.

A simple sticky post with what brands are GF, which ones aren't and which ones are borderline. Give people the info and let them make the decision.

Not bashing you midfielder5, just pointing out it's kind of silly that we have to keep talking about this topic because it falls down the list over time.

A good point aggie, I will work on this. New post on it's way, everyone start voting, thumbs upping, and making replies for stickies.

the sticky sounds good.
i did start by saying "it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten".. which was ignored, but whatev' :)

:off:
also, how about a sticky on ingredients, in general?
Like the Oats. (most are not GF unless so marked, but many don't care).

the sticky sounds good.
i did start by saying "it depends how sensitive your allergy is to gluten".. which was ignored, but whatev'
i personally don't even have a gluten allergy! :)

I don't think he was bashing the way you said it, or that you said it, but simply that there are only about 10 of us in this forum and we mention the danger White Labs in every thread. :mug:

Sounds like Noontime loves his citrus fruits! If this also describes you or the person who will be drinking this beer, then go for it. And noontime, IIRC you are the gluten-free person you are brewing for, but maybe try to make some sort of GF Widmer Drifter clone, I think you would really like it. It tastes like an orange.

In fact, I just realized my GF really likes oranges...recipe probably on the way.

I have no gluten issues but my wife is celiac (severe) and we have a completely gluten free household. I do enjoy the citrusy beers very much, but I'm guessing it's just because it's what I've been most successful with. My attempts at darker beers have been less than spectacular, but my next one will be with chestnuts, so hopefully that will make a difference. I would love to make my wife a stout or nut brown (and I enjoy them as well).

I don't think he was bashing the way you said it, or that you said it, but simply that there are only about 10 of us in this forum and we mention the danger White Labs in every thread. :mug:

Exactly dkershner! Midfielder5, you had a great point, and I like that you prefaced it appropriately...I just think that if we had a sitcky for overall ingredients that are GF, and maybe a sticky about how to get the most out of your GF grain come brew-day, and finally a post on how to malt your own grain then that would be all the stickies we need.

Thanks dkershner for getting that thread started.

..I just think that if we had a sitcky for overall ingredients that are GF, and maybe a sticky about how to get the most out of your GF grain come brew-day, and finally a post on how to malt your own grain then that would be all the stickies we need.

That sounds like a challenge. We now need to come up with way, way more sticky ideas.

Back