Cyser q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I found this very basic cyser recipie on line,

1 Gallon Apple Juice, organic

2 lb Clover Honey

3 Cloves

2 Sticks Cinnamon

Yeast of choice (Use a much smaller amount, appropriate for one gallon)

Yeast nutrient of choice (Same rule as above, use in moderation!)

Remove enough juice from the jug to allow for the addition of honey. Place the jug in warm water, and increase temperature to 150 degrees F. Pour honey into jug, using a funnel if needed. It can help to warm up the honey in warm water before pouring. Hold the temperature of the must at 150 degrees for about 5 minutes, then cool to 80 degrees or below.
Add the yeast nutrient and the yeast, and ferment at room temperature. Fermentation should slow after about three weeks. At six weeks, rack into a second jug in which you have placed the cloves and cinnamon (It does not say whole or crushed, but I would assume crushed?) Continue to rack every few weeks, whenever a layer of sediment appears on the bottom of the jug.
Bottle when the cyser clears.

My questions are,

Does this sound okay? I was thinking of using 1 pound of honey. What would be the best way to bottle this? I was thinking of carbing it.

Thanks for any tips.

#1 Do not heat the honey! You will loose flavor. Pitch healthy yeast and you will not have to worry about the nasties.
#2 The honey is your choice. 2# will have more alcohol and take longer to age. Do you like dry or sweet cyser. If you like it sweet, you may need even more honey.
#3 Bottle still or use 1 oz of sugar per gallon and bottle in champagne or beer bottles.
#4 DO NOT HEAT THE HONEY!

Thanks poobah,

My next question is on yeast. I am planning on using a champain yeast (dry).
Should I use the whole 11 gram packet?

Thanks

Back