single or dual stage controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
Need opinions, please...

I just purchased a used refrigerator to use as a fermentation chamber. So now I'm looking at temperature controllers. I think I've narrowed choices between a digital for either cooling or heating mode, or a dual stage. I take it the dual stage does both without re-programming?

The fridge sits in the garage where it will see some large temperature swings in the spring and fall; so I'm leaning towards a dual stage setup.

Does using a heating element inside of a fridge require drilling holes in the wall of the fridge? Is this any big deal? What would be the best supplier for a 'plug and play' dual range controller?

Thanks

Kabouter,

I read your "Side-by-side Fermentation Chamber" post and while that is an awesome project I simply have no idea how to do any wiring (nor do I have any of the tools needed to complete a project like that). I am thinking about buying a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber but am concerned that a single stage controller won't be adequate for temperature swings during the day and at night.

Is there any reason I couldn't just utilize 2 single stage temperature controllers - one for the chest freezer for cooling purposes and one for a heating pad inside the freezer for warming purposes? I realize this might be slightly more expensive but it should be really quick to set up and wouldn't require much knowledge or tools.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

i recommend the dual stage. its good for both cooling AND heating at the same time. grate for those days when the high is above your fermentation temp and the lows are below your target temp.

I want to be able to heat and cool at the same time, but I don't know how to wire the Love controller like Kabouter described in his post. I was thinking I could use two separate pre-wired controllers (like the Johnson or Ranco I can buy at Austin Homebrew) and set them up together to replicate a true two stage controller like Kabouter described. Would this work, or is there an easier way to do this?

Yes. - It two prewired controllers would work just fine. You would be throwing away money.

The easiest way would be to use a dual stage controller.

If you can't follow Kabouter's wiring diagram for the controller you need to hire an electrician.

Wiring_diagram_fro_Love_TSS2-21002.bmp

I want to be able to heat and cool at the same time, but I don't know how to wire the Love controller like Kabouter described in his post. I was thinking I could use two separate pre-wired controllers (like the Johnson or Ranco I can buy at Austin Homebrew) and set them up together to replicate a true two stage controller like Kabouter described. Would this work, or is there an easier way to do this?

you can buy the two stage Ronco controllers already wired from MoreBeer.com.... when they are back in stock. its more expensive but that is to be expected.

the only problem i can see with your idea is trying to connect both controllers to a thermowell stopper or cap. if thats not an issue for you then yea it should work.

Thanks TipsyDragon. Great Neck Brewer, I ordered mine a few minutes ago and I already received an email notifying me that it shipped. Great service and actually $10 less than MoreBeer.

Back