Do these pots look good to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think these at waresdirect are nice. They have a nice thick bottom. They come with a lid, but no strainer basket. I bought a 24 qt for making cheese. The 60 qt would be great for 10 gallon batches. The 40 qt would do well for 5 gallon batches.

Edit: Oops, I notice now you were looking at aluminum. Here is the waresdirect link for their aluminum pots Aluminum Stock Pots

I will do you one better. On ebay there is a 5 pot set that includes sizes ranging from 20qt to 52qt for $169.99 shipped. I almost pulled the trigger today but I am broker than a joke.

Maybe a little OT but I think you can save some money getting a $30 keg of craigslist and cutting it open. Then you have plenty of space for your full boils and are ready for an all-grain upgrade.

Maybe a little OT but I think you can save some money getting a $30 keg of craigslist and cutting it open. Then you have plenty of space for your full boils and are ready for an all-grain upgrade.

There is a local guy I have purchased Cornies from that can do that for me and I have considered it, but I do all my boils on a Tappan Stove in the basement of my home at this time. The stove has one high output burner that I think (I know) can handle 5 gallon full boils but I think a keg would be to difficult to work with inside on a stove top.

Going to look into some of the sites provided by others before making a purchase.

Great idea though.... thanks.

Salute! :mug:

Edit: Just checked WaresDirect and they have some really great prices listed for Aluminum and Stainless pots. Now what to do........ SS or AL..... oh my! If only they listed a 40qt SS Pot, I'd be on that in a minute!

Whoa! They do list a 40qt SS pot.......... I am on this tonight. Thanks for the info guys.

What are the dimensions of the 60qt pot? Does it have a cover?

I just bought the 50 qt , it has a 16" diameter and is 16" tall. I would imagine that the 60 qt is just a bit taller.

FWIW,I did a test run with mine, trying to bring 10 gallons of water to a boil and my burner couldn't do it. I think I'm going to have to upgrade to a Banjo or Hurricane.

Got a 60qt pot and have no problem getting 10 gallons boiling with a Bayou SQ14. What are you using that's not working?

It's a Bayou Classice burner from the Turkey Fryer Kit I bought when I started AG. I beleive it's the SP10 and has a 10PSI regulator on it. I think part of the problem is the way that the pot sits on the stand, it seems to restrict how wide the flame gets.

Oh, so sorry. I was pretty busy over the last few days and had no opportunity to get the info I said I would. When I return home this evening (after 3:30pm) I will measure the pot and post.

I'd be very interested in the dimensions as well. I'd like to replaced my 7 gallon turkey fryer, but I'd like whatever I get to fit inside the ring to sit on the burner.

I've got some answers:

60 quart aluminum stock pot @ royalpalmeventsupply.com (TFH44X41) $30.60 4mm = 17 3/4" wide by 16" tall

60 qt. NSF Medium Weight Aluminum Stock Pot @ restaurantsupplyhouse.com (RSH208M) $55.99 = Diameter 17.3" Height 15.9"

Thermalloy Stock Pot, 60 qt., No Cover, Aluminum @ katom.com (158-5813160) $62.47 = 17.25” Dia X 16” H

Too big on the diameter to upgrade my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot at 12.5" diameter. I'd have to check, but I don't think the ring it sits in on the burner is that much bigger than the pot.

I've got some answers:

60 quart aluminum stock pot @ royalpalmeventsupply.com (TFH44X41) $30.60 4mm = 17 3/4" wide by 16" tall

60 qt. NSF Medium Weight Aluminum Stock Pot @ restaurantsupplyhouse.com (RSH208M) $55.99 = Diameter 17.3" Height 15.9"

Thermalloy Stock Pot, 60 qt., No Cover, Aluminum @ katom.com (158-5813160) $62.47 = 17.25” Dia X 16” H

Too big on the diameter to upgrade my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot at 12.5" diameter. I'd have to check, but I don't think the ring it sits in on the burner is that much bigger than the pot.

That's problem I have with the 50qt i just bought from instawares, it sits on that ring of the burner and blocks the flame. It keeps you from getting the boil. I'm hoping to get an SQ14 or a Banjo, and then just use the old fryer setup for sparge water.

I ran the pot (60qt) through it's first use on Tuesday afternoon and added 5 gallons of water (cold) to it to see how long it would take to get to a full boil. I had assumed that my stove burner (high output) would have no problem in getting it there. It took just under 1 hour to get it up to a lite boil. I have a turkey fryer burner, but had hoped my stove would be capable of 5 gallon boils. It appears I may have some difficulty unless I use a lid to reach full boil and then remove it during the rest of the process.

I have not done the math and was curious if anyone knows the typical time frame to raise 5 gallons of water from 50F. to 210F to achieve full boil and the BTU requirements for such a boil.

I know using warmer water will require less time, but that is the temp of my water from the tap (filtered) at this time.

In the winter, fill your pot hours or even the day before to let the water come up to room temp. It will save a bit of time and energy.

I use a 10" cartridge filter housing with a carbon filter and set my water aside now for making my beer. I used water straight from the tap when I did my first run, so my overall time should be reduced now.

Latest posts

Back