Rye malt or flaked rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
What are the differences between flaked rye and rye malt. Which provides most flavor, is the flavor different? Which is easier to use. What would you recommend?

Just looking at placing an order for a few things and thought about getting 10 lbs of rye to play about with. I have no intended recipe in mind.

I can't speak to the rye malt, but I made a "rye"PA recipe a couple months agon that called for 2# of flaked rye as part of an 11# grain bill. Probably the best beer I ever made - you could really taste the rye. Of course, you have to like that - but anyway I advise you to try it.

Can't speak to the difference, no experience with using it yet myself, but I will say what I tell everyone, make a roggenbier :) severely underrepresented style, and definitely worth looking into.

Flaked will give you more of the spiciness associated with Rye. That flavor is mellower in the malted version. Both will convert, but malted has diastatic power, flaked does not.

I can tell you this..... malted rye is a PITA in the mash tun. Jammed up my mash tube, had to transfer by hand with a pitcher and strainer. I did have oats in there as well, that didn't help either.

I got the Rye Malt. Looking forward to trying it soon.

It will be a couple of months, as I have a couple of other brews already lined up ahead of it.

Yesterday I made a rye beer. My shop had flaked rye so that is what I got. I think it is in Designing Great Beers that I read flaked is stronger for flavor than malt, I think it says 2/3 as much flaked as malt will give the same flavor.

I followed that and the recipe for Denny's Rye beer as a guideline for my recipe. I'll let you know how it tastes in a few weeks...

I've used Rye Malt alone in a recipe, and it was very ho hum.

However when I coupled up an additional amount of Rye malt with flaked rye and it was and still is delicious.

Just know that both end up very sticky. And Rye malt is harder to crush than wheat/barley.

I just brewed a Saison with 30% Rye in the grain bills 1.5lb of Flaked rye, and 3lb of rye malt. Didnt use rice hulls and it didnt stick. Smelt very good in the mash, like spicy oatmeal. Excited to see how it'll turn out.

I brewed a Rye Saison as well last weekend. 17# of 2 row and 6# of malted rye, I also added about a pound of flaked oates and a pound of instant oates.
Instant oates not a good idea....

Back