The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just two seasons ago we were in the third tier having just been saved from near bankruptcy! It was a very heartening start to life back in the EPL. All the fans at Southampton are treating this like a win! LOL

Isn't this this second season in a row that a team has made consecutive promotions to get to the premier league? It's very impressive. Was it Norwich last season?

Back to MLS: anyone watch DC United-Philadelphia? What a mess. 1-1, game winning penalty discounted, four red cards, poor officiating, teammates shoving each other.

My name is Phillip and I'm a soccer fan! :ban:

I enjoyed it during the 90s when we hosted the WC. Played on a club team in college before catching mono and having to give it up :(. Hadn't thought much about it since then. About 5 or 6 years ago a university TV station started rebroadcasting Everton matches and it became a habit for me to catch a game or 2 every week and have a pint of homebrew. I've been increasingly following the game ever since.

Fast forward to current times. I'm a MLS Live subscriber (though I won this year's subscription via fantasy play :ban:), following MLS, Everton & Newcastle to a lesser degree in the EPL, and Barca in La Liga. Living more than a 9 hour drive each way from any MLS franchise when I started following the league a few years back I decided to follow one original team from each conference and one new expansion team. Thus I follow Chicago/Philly in the east and LA/Seattle in the west.

Only 2 sports I have time for are soccer and college football but I do catch a boxing match when I can! Thanks for the soccer thread.

Chicago, LA and Seattle? You must have a high tolerance for player whining. :cross:

Still, I'm sure you were as happy as I was to see Everton win yesterday.

Chicago, LA and Seattle? You must have a high tolerance for player whining. :cross:

Still, I'm sure you were as happy as I was to see Everton win yesterday.

Been a long time coming for sure. Everton does wonderful with the budget they have and I'm comfortable putting David Moyes in the upper echelon of EPL coaches.

Any soccer fan has a high degree of tolerance for whining don't they? Beckham has made a fool of himself more than once over the past couple years... whatever it takes for him to get into the game! ;)

Anyone else follow the CONCACAF Champions League? Really entertaining seeing MLS teams vs non MLS teams. So far this year the teams are looking good... of course they aren't facing Mexican sides just yet!

Houston's B-side was really impressive playing away. Well everyone was impressive except for Adam Moffett... man dude has never impressed me, but I never saw him totally suck like he did the other night!

It's been quiet in here... odd, especially considering the exciting matches and huge results lately.

Portland: congrats for finally winning two in a row!

Sounders baby... no one supports their team in MLS like Seattle- the rest are just pretenders... the Seattle crowds compete with the ones in Europe as far as attendance numbers and atmosphere... if you get a chance and if you can get a ticket- come see the Sounders in CLink Field- it will blow your mind... and ruin your experience at your home field...

roymullins said:
Sounders baby... no one supports their team in MLS like Seattle- the rest are just pretenders... the Seattle crowds compete with the ones in Europe as far as attendance numbers and atmosphere... if you get a chance and if you can get a ticket- come see the Sounders in CLink Field- it will blow your mind... and ruin your experience at your home field...

lol

Because you have no other sports up there that are any good...my friends that live up there even support the WNBA team...that tells you something! :mug:

B"ecause you have no other sports up there that are any good...my friends that live up there even support the WNBA team...that tells you something! "

Living here it tells me that Pacific Northwesterners tend to be more open minded to new things. Yes, that is a terrible way to live.. You should never consider living here. In fact, nobody should move to the land of Hops and Grains.

And let's see when we check superbowls it seems we put a team there in 2005. The last team from Dallas that was there was 1996?

Could it be that you are All Hat, No Cattle on this one?

Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather live up here, watch sports I enjoy (we also have decent rugby in the PNW) than worry about what someone else tells me I should watch.

Cheers and enjoy your Yakima Hops...

Bunch of Seattle supporters on here now.

This might soon turn into a "Seattle invented..." thread :D

B"ecause you have no other sports up there that are any good...my friends that live up there even support the WNBA team...that tells you something! "

Living here it tells me that Pacific Northwesterners tend to be more open minded to new things. Yes, that is a terrible way to live.. You should never consider living here. In fact, nobody should move to the land of Hops and Grains.

And let's see when we check superbowls it seems we put a team there in 2005. The last team from Dallas that was there was 1996?

Could it be that you are All Hat, No Cattle on this one?

Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather live up here, watch sports I enjoy (we also have decent rugby in the PNW) than worry about what someone else tells me I should watch.

Cheers and enjoy your Yakima Hops...

Hey I love soccer, just have never gotten in the MLS. It's all good though. I'm not a huge football fan, but I sure do love my baseball.

Reno_eNVy said:
Bunch of Seattle supporters on here now.

This might soon turn into a "Seattle invented..." thread :D

Can you feel it. The rave green bearing down on you. Hey do we play L.A. one more time I can't remember

Hey I love soccer, just have never gotten in the MLS. It's all good though. I'm not a huge football fan, but I sure do love my baseball.

Oh, and if we are talking football, when you get to five super bowl trophies let me know.
:mug:

Punity said:
Can you feel it. The rave green bearing down on you. Hey do we play L.A. one more time I can't remember

Heh

And I'm pretty sure the last in the SEAvLA set is the last match of the season. I'll have to double check after work.

Don't you mean the bule and green?

buleandgreen.jpg

Yea those are some super duper super bowl wins, I think most were before the internet was invented no? ;) What have they done lately?

Seattle has always been a great place for soccer. We feel no need to apologize to anybody for loving the sport. I discovered it in 1969 as an elementary schooler. Seattle has a large ex brit population due to Boeing back in the day. Great place to learn the game.

Never cared for baseball, usually the coach's kid either pitched, caught played SS or 1st base. Everybody else was window dressing. Started a 7 a side spring league for all those outfielders in my town, ended up with 1200 kids playing 7 aside soccer during baseball season. More kids were playing soccer than baseball during my run. In the fall, we had around 2000 back in the day.

You'll find NW enjoy sports where everybody has a chance to touch the ball, and anybody can be a star. I played Rugby for a decade and soccer for 3 decades. Both sports are better than baseball or football.

Wouldn't trade places with ya.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend who is a Man U fan. While I'm befuddled about how Wenger could have transferred Robin to Man U (Real or AC, sure, but Man U???), she doesn't like it because she thinks he's soft. What?? Your team just acquired the leading scorer in the Premiership from your rivals and you don't like it???

Of course, he's scored more goals than the entire Arsenal team so far this season . . .

"Love rugby learned it while deployed with the brits"

Second most played sport behind soccer in the world. And it was a gas for me too. Unfortunately two knee sprains in a 6 month window was too much time off. Great sport, I played in Ireland while on tour and played against the Aussies back here at home. Had a shot at a far east tour when the knees went. My son plays it now in the midwest when he can find time from residency. The second best stress reliever I know. First that is a sport.. ;)

thats awesome, i got blown up a few times haha it was a nice way to blow off some steam plus fun to watch and figure out what they were yelling at

Awesome game yesterday. The 89th minute game winner was spectacular. The ref really blew the game couldn't keep the players in line wasted about 6 min in the second half to shoving and ticky tacky plays

The center ref definately was not the best. On the free kick hand ball he never took his eyes off of Montero, never tracked the ball...so he didn't make the call everybody else saw because he may have been the only person in the stadium looking at the wrong thing.

Then a real biggie was not sending off the Chivas forward for ripping the ball out of his hands and pushing him away... should have been straight red and a couple games more. Never seen that before where it wasn't dealth with. Turned the game into a zoo for the last little bit.

Enjoyed the heck out of the win. 6 points back from top of the table. I think 7 games left, still possible.

Latest posts

Back