little help on a simple recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

Reaction score
like I said its a very simple basic recipe, will this be red? Kinda need it to be red, and any suggestions on it? I don't mind if your critical, actually I'd appreciate it, but please be constructive about it, I realize the recipe is basic, I'm only on my 3rd batch of homebrew and this is my first recipe of my own thanks

60 min boil

6.6 lbs Northwestern Weizen LME
4 oz Black Barley (Stout) (this should make it red right?)

Hops

1 oz Fuggle at 30 min
1 oz Czech Saaz 5 min

Yeast

Safbrew WB-06 Dry Yeast

Secondary 7 days

1 tbsp seeds of paradise
4 oz blood orange juice
6 dried blood orange peels

Northwestern Weizen LME specs: 6-10*L, 79% solids
Alone, produces an SRM around 7.5 (brownish tan/yellow)

+ Hugh Baird Black Roasted Barley: 500*L
======================================================
Estimated final SRM = 17.3 (brick-red with tan/brown tints)

The other ingredients shouldn't influence color much (maybe some more red tones from the blood oranges, but yeast can scrub out a lot of fruit colors). What sort of end flavor are you shooting for here? If you only want the color contribution, but not the flavor, you should take a look at the de-husked and de-bittered Carafa malts from Weyermann...provide intense color without flavor contribution.

like darkbrood is asking: what flavor do you want? you can use 8 lbs 2-row and 1/2 lb chocolate, and it'll be red, but i ain't gonna drink it... do you want a good irish red?

I like the flavor how it is suppose.. I did this one before without the black barley and without the czech saaz(just the fuggles) and it came out good alot of friends enjoyed it, but I felt it didn't have BIG flavor it was kinda plain "SUMMER WHEAT"ish I guess, I saw some other posts on here about people turning their beer red with black roasted barley so I added that to the recipe but wanted to gets some opinions before I brewed it on what thats going to do to the flavor

needs to be red for a themed party

So dark brood your saying the Hugh Baird Black Roasted Barley: 500*L
will make it "brick red?" that actually could really work was kinda going for "blood red" but brick red seems red enough

If you want to play around with it, there are a few different color calculators scattered around the web....or you could give the 30-day trial of BeerSmith a spin...

If I wanted to switch this from LME to all grain, what would be a good replacement for the northwestern weizen?

newb said:
If I wanted to switch this from LME to all grain, what would be a good replacement for the northwestern weizen?

White wheat.

Back