KEG Gas O2 or Nitro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
How would I know if I need to use N2 instead of O2.

I've got a Imperial Blonde Ale due out in 2 weeks. The OG was 1.066, finish should be around 1.010.

I've always heard "Stouts and Big Beers", need N2, is an Imperial Blonde too big for O2?

nitro just changes the mouthfeel of the beer. You don't necessarily need it ever (unless you have really long keg lines). I normally would use co2 for most beers with the exception of stouts, porters, and anything that is supposed to emulate a cask conditioned beer.

Just to be clear, there shouldn't be any O2 added post fermentation, unless of course you like oxidized wet cardboard beer. ;)

Like jester said, nitro simply changes the mouthfeel, and it's actually used in conjunction with CO2, not all by itself. Do you have a nitro faucet with the restrictor plate and either a gas mixer or premixed gas tank? If not, just carb it with CO2. If you are set up for nitro, which if any beers you decide to use it on is purely subjective, but it's most commonly used for stouts. No beers "need" nitro.

Sorry I meant CO2-haha-I have a job where I write O2 fifty times a day!

I'm set up with a Kegerator/CO2 etc...I just didn't want to keg anything that couldn't be pushed with CO2. But now I understand it's more related to taste.

Thanks for the help!

I had Founders Harvest IPA side by side with one on nitro. Since then, I'm convinced anything is good on nitro.

Back