Ah the joys of choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
I love making beer. There is something about the day of brewing that I appreciate and love. A lot of people dont get me who dont brew. The thing I love most is having a choice of style. I am not talking about American, belgian, german, lager or ale. I mean all grain or extract. I have been doing so much all grain over the past year that I decided to take a break this winter and go extract. I forgot how nice it was to cut your time down by almost 2 1/2 hours.
Whats the reason for this post? No reason really. I just felt extract brewers deserve as much love as all grain I guess. Because when it comes down to it....we all have the same end result. Beer. And the beuty of being a homebrewer is variety and always making something different but awesome.

Thanks Peg. I think you just made my day.

I just might push off going AG for another dozen batches or so now...

:ban:

Thanks Peg. I think you just made my day.

I just might push off going AG for another dozen batches or so now...

:ban:

It's a broken record on here, but when you go AG go BIG. By BIG, I mean get a 10-15 gallon capacity for boiling and mash if you haven't done so already.

Plus the beauty of this forum is having a DIY area. Then again, some projects may save you money while others will make you run to the bank unless you spread out the purchases over time.

Just out of curiosity, how much of a difference can you taste between AG and extract. I've been brewing extract for two years and have thought about AG. I know it's cheapier, but the amount of time brewing AG and purchasing the equipment is holding me back. Also, my extracts have all been great. Thanks

The answer depends on who it is from. Bias AG brewers say there is a heavier malt presence in AG beers. If you want to see a blind test watch episode 31 on BrewingTv on NorthernBrewer. Michael Dawson brews a partial mash/mini mash and a full mash AG side by side. Later does tasting notes on the two.

What were the results? I know AG peeps are going to say its better, but I've read that the differences are slight. Anyway, I'll still be doing extract for a while due to $$$.

What were the results? I know AG peeps are going to say its better, but I've read that the differences are slight. Anyway, I'll still be doing extract for a while due to $$$.

The beer that was brewed was called Brew Your Own Bender by NorthernBrewer. It was an episode to highlight Bender beer and the fact that NorthernBrewer has a clone recipe. Whatever. I don't watch the episodes for the highlighted products, just for the knowledge and wisdom that is shared.

Michael filled two pitchers. One pitcher containing the mini mashed beer and the other containing the AG version. The first sample given was from the mini mash (although we the camera viewers and his test subjects did not know because the pitchers were not labeled). The second pitcher contained the AG. The reviews were CLOSE. The first sample tasted amazing and almost spot on to the Original. The second sample was said to have been just a bit better than the first. Bottom line was, both batches were parallel with tasting notes.

I also want to add something to what I said earlier.

As long as you follow a recipe correctly, do your boil time correctly, add hops at the right times, and hold your temps correctly your wort from extract will be almost identical to AG. Same for fermentation. If you have healthy yeast cells and your fermenter is at the right temperature, you're golden.

I found a way that works for me to get extract brew styles of pretty much any kind I want. It's all in how you combine extracts,hops,yeast,different sugars,etc. I'm getting good ales & having fun where I am atm. I'm thinking of trying PM,but for now...:tank:

I found a way that works for me to get extract brew styles of pretty much any kind I want. It's all in how you combine extracts,hops,yeast,different sugars,etc. I'm getting good ales & having fun where I am atm. I'm thinking of trying PM,but for now...:tank:

I you love what you do and do what you love.....and love what you get....keep on doin' it!:ban:

Back