Goalie Stick Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
OK, so rather than wait like 8 months until I actually finish this easy project, I figured that if I start a thread, I'll be more obliged to finish quickly!

So I'm a goalie... I have 4 or 5 broken goalie sticks laying around... Last night, in an epiphany that should have hit me at SOME point in the last year, I realized that a sawed off paddle would make a great mash paddle!

So here's the stick I'm going to use... The blade is already cracked at the heel in this pic, but I hadn't realized it yet:

17.jpg

Here is the concept... Saw that off - I'm not sure to saw it straight across with my mitre saw, or do a gentle arc with a jigsaw - then pop some holes in it:

goaliemash.jpg

After I sand the edges, I'll lacquer it well. I thought about sanding all the paint and such off it, but I want it recognizable as a stick. So hopefully creating this thread will force me to get on this quickly... My only cost should be a can of lacquer.

And goalie sticks are made from ash and stop rubber rockets, so I don't doubt the durability. :D

I can't determine if that's insane or genius. I'm going with the latter. Make one now and let us know how it turns out!

As a pseudo roller hockey goalie, i say well played! And you can use it to beat people who enter your brewing crease.:D

Hockey05233.jpg

You know that goalies are the freaks, right?

Just like the kicker in football, they are very necessary but they are the oddballs. My son played goalie for years, but he's been playing wing for the last couple of years.

I play defense, usually. Once in a while I play wing, but not very often. So, my stick wouldn't make a very nice mash paddle. Plus, mine is composite anyway!

I dunno. I'm having a hard time thinking of any other laquered and painted utensil used in food prep. It looks neat, but just seems really wrong for food safety issues. How about a display paddle - and an actual one that is nekked ash?

-OCD

What kind of s*ccer are you playing!?

What the hell is "soccer?"

my concern would be about having lacquer in my mash.

Oh yeah? Hmmm.... So I might be sanding her down then?

You know that goalies are the freaks, right?

I'm somewhat comfortable with that fact... :D

Plus, mine is composite anyway!

My new ones are! This stick broke waaaaay too easily.

I'd recommend shellac, at least it's food grade.

OK, see this is why I love HBT! I didn't know there was anything to worry about with any lacquer/shellac...

So I'll need to sand it all the way down, then use mineral oil to waterproof? I was hoping to keep the design...

Thanks all!

Details on my particular stick:

61” Aircraft Veneer Laminated Handle • Aspen Fins • Laminated Ash Blade • Fiberglass Reinforced Paddle and Blade

So.... The paddle is wrapped in fiberglass. I thought it might be, so that's why I was all about lacquer/shellac...

From an MSDS: (for laquer)
Avoid high temperatures, direct heating.
Harmful or fatal if swallowed.

Crossed decorative mash paddles on your wall would look sweet. Maybe make a nice crest to sit above it. Order a calzone pusher for like $10 - clean naked wood.

-OCD

From an MSDS: (for laquer)
Avoid high temperatures, direct heating.
Harmful or fatal if swallowed.

-OCD

i am not trying to be ****ty but have you ever used -sprayed laquer?
or are you just quoting some wiki page?

that warning is for laquer in the can , Ie Liquid , mostly super flamabile solvents like acetone and toluene. its the solvents that you should not heat or swallow.

if you use a standerd wood laquer it is nitrocellulose based and will not not hurt you after its cured at all. it cant ,it has turned in to a plastic and the mash cant disolve it no more than it can disolve a plastic spoon.
you can also get laquer made from tree resin , both types of laquer are used on wooden soup bowls in china and japan.

but it does not matter you cant use laquer on that anyway it will not work and the solvent in the laqure will mess up the painted Acrylic finish.

what you need to do its after you have cut and shaped it apply many coats of an acrylic sealer or poly acrylic and you will be all set.

I would just cover the whole thing in a single layer of resin and woven fiberglass. Once set this should be food safe and heat resistant, it will also protect the wood from absorbing any water and won't chip like paint based products.

i am not trying to be ****ty but have you ever used -sprayed laquer?
or are you just quoting some wiki page?

that warning is for laquer in the can , Ie Liquid , mostly super flamabile solvents like acetone and toluene. its the solvents that you should not heat or swallow.

if you use a standerd wood laquer it is nitrocellulose based and will not not hurt you after its cured at all. it cant ,it has turned in to a plastic and the mash cant disolve it no more than it can disolve a plastic spoon.
you can also get laquer made from tree resin , both types of laquer are used on wooden soup bowls in china and japan.

Used laquer - never ate it to my knowledge. You're right, that's from the MSDS of the uncured product. I was thinking (possibly errantly) heating it may leach stuff back into the mash. I didn't take it as a S****y response - I just couldn't find any food safety info until I hit this link after A WHOLE LOT OF SEARCHING. http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=finishing&file=articles_497.shtml Basically proves your point, but It's still something I can't overcome mentally.

I'll stick with unfinished for only $9.00
WSP-48.jpg

To the OP, I hope these guys help you get exactly what you wanted. It looks really cool.

-OCD

I wouldn't use a Christian stick. The fiberglass is going to be hard to cap off. Try an older Sherwood or ~2001 Bauer. Those sticks are just wood and paint on the paddle and will be easier to work with.

I think this is awesome. Maybe I should start playing goalie so I have a reason to break a stick over someone and use it stir mash.

P.S. I like the logo helmet!

Hmm...
I have a couple goalie sticks laying around. Son moved from goal to wing.

DD, is that pic at the Giant Center? We play CPIHL, been there a couple times for games/scrimages.

Go Bears!!

Yes were ghetto. Whatcha going to do in Tennessee, they are still lacking the formula for ice.

Hilarious!

I wouldn't use a Christian stick. The fiberglass is going to be hard to cap off. Try an older Sherwood or ~2001 Bauer. Those sticks are just wood and paint on the paddle and will be easier to work with.

I do have a Sherwood 5030 lying around...

52697.jpg

Couple of Itechs as well...

P.S. I like the logo helmet!

Had the helmet first... Stock paint from SportMask (Ricochet mask). I developed my brewing logo from it.

DD, is that pic at the Giant Center?

Good eye! We rented it out for a practice late one night... I had my pregnant wife out there in ice cleats - dodging pucks - in order to take pics! More here...

Go Bears!!

Oh hell yeah!!! Calder champs -- AGAIN -- baby!!! I live 10 mins from Giant Center, but don't get to enough games... (liked it better when they were the Flyers' affiliate) Will get to more when my daughter is older!

So..... pending the wife getting home at a relatively decent time tonight... I'm going to at least cut the bottom edge of the paddle and see what it looks like. If it's a fiberglass sandwich, I may try to remove it (which will remove the paint... oh well).

Hell yeah. Brewing goalies unite.

I've got a handful of broken KOHO's in my garage but the fiberglass scared me off of making them into a paddle. Good luck!

Gordie

Gordie - Great hockey name!

OK, so I finally started on this a little bit, 2 weeks later than planned. I blame it on the 6 month old!

So here are my paddles after the first cut. The Christian is the newer stick, custom made, but the one where the entire blade broke off. The Itech is an older stick (a former Thrasher, Pasi Nurminen, pro return, lol). the Itech was retired because of a huge splintered bite mark where the green blade tape extends.

goaliemash_paddles.jpg

The sticks were cut so that 10" is left as a paddle. Oh, and yes, I know trigger fingers are illegal in the NHL. I... don't play in the NHL... :D Looking at the cuts, they both have a fiberglass wrap, which is chipping where the cut was made. Both have paint as well, but the Itech has not as much. Itech might be my dog...

goaliemash_edges.jpg

The Christian fiberglass does not want to come off easily... The Itech had a large piece chip off right away. I think I will focus on stripping the Itech and then sanding it up. Might work on the Christian later.

goaliemash_fiberchip.jpg

Quick update.... Sliced my thumb up real nice with a utility knife, trying to get the fiberglass off the Itech... You can kind of peel up a corner and then rip a chunk off, but the process is slow, especially when you are peeling up slices of your thumb!

Will post when it's stripped and I'm ready to make holes... I have a clever idea in the works for that...

EDIT: Clever idea:

mash_paddle-1.jpg

Back