Any thoughts???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptra1004

Reaction score
So my father in law has a bunch of pear trees and my brother in law and I like to ferment things so he picked like 60 lbs of pears. Here's our dilemma;

We didn't have a press and our time-frame was a bit short to build one. BUT his wife has a Jack Lalane Power Juicer (really, she does). So we juiced all the pears that weren't rotten (about 40-45 lbs) and got about 2 1/2 gal of juice/pulp.

We heated it to 160 for 10 minutes and added it to a carboy. We thinned it with 2 gallons of water then thought to add 2cups of honey because we figured the gravity wouldn't be very high. We couldn't check the gravity because of the amount of pulp and we need to buy a refractometer. We pitched a packet of Lavlin EC 1118 and there you have it Mercury Drive Peary.

Anyone think this will work? I figure we can back sweeten and/or spice it in the secondary, maybe add a gallon or two of juice if need be... Any thoughts? Are we asses? Criticism welcome.

I suspect the OG is around 1.030-1.035, after dilution. This might work out as a nice table perry.

Back